Having trouble getting a 3SGE running properly

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: Having trouble getting a 3SGE running properly

Postby Billzilla on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:12 pm

Sean wrote:I did. You have to tell the ecu what the sensor is, what is the calibration etc else you wont get a reading. Have you a log file from the ecu?

We've done that as well - Bosche LTU 4.0 and a calibration number of 839.
No difference.
Billzilla

Postby JulianEdgar on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:44 am

Billzilla wrote:
Sean wrote:Assuming the ECU is enabled for lambda, or still has some of the initial free lambda left, you will need to define the sensor under ADJUST - SENSOR SETUP - WIDEBAND LAMBDA SETUP Also, I would clear Aux 1 (lambda heater) table axes and make it a single value of 0

I'm not after closed-loop operation, just trying to get the Quick Lambda working so I can sort out the map in the lower revs enough to take it for a drive.
Have a look at the file I uploaded if you like, I'm pretty sure all that stuff is set-up correctly.

Don't you need to have paid for the Lambda upgrade for any use of a Lambda probe connected straight to ECU? (After free tuning time is used up.)

http://www.motec.com.au/filedownload... ... il2010.pdf? - page 70 onwards has best instructions I have found for connecting a PLM to ECU (and no Lambda ECU upgrade needed)
JulianEdgar

Postby Billzilla on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:37 pm

JulianEdgar wrote:http://www.motec.com.au/filedownload.../ECU%20Tuning%20April2010.pdf? - page 70 onwards has best instructions I have found for connecting a PLM to ECU (and no Lambda ECU upgrade needed)

Dead link.
AFAIK you only need the lambda option for closed-loop operation, it's not needed for Quick Lambda.
I may well be wrong though ....
Billzilla

Postby JulianEdgar on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Google 'motec ecu tuning pdf' - it's the first on the list.
JulianEdgar

Postby Billzilla on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:25 pm

JulianEdgar wrote:Google 'motec ecu tuning pdf' - it's the first on the list.

Ta, got it now.
Yep that's how we set it up. (99% sure at least) and it would not talk to the ECU. :(
PLM via the CAN bus.
Billzilla

Postby Billzilla on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Scott@FP wrote:Ref/Sync Mode 28 notes say to use rising edge, not falling edge, is there a reason to use falling edge on this cam and crank setup?

A quick question on this - Where are the notes on this? I've done a search and can't find anything on it.
FWIW the engine ran nicely with falling edge, when it was a more standard unit, for years.
Billzilla

Postby Billzilla on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:59 am

C'mon guys it can't be that difficult.
It used to run just fine with all the same sensors and full twin variable cam timing. Now it has fixed cam timing, the same fuel pressure, same injectors, basically the same engine (bigger cams and a bit more compression), so it's a fair bit less complex than it used to be.

Or do I have to bolt on the 45 DCOE Webers I have sitting in the shed?
Billzilla

Postby Scott@FP on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am

Hit 'F1' key when on ref/sync mode setup. Scroll down to the appropriate mode for notes.

You have La turned off for a direct wired sensor under adjust/sensor setup/wide band La setup.

The adjust/functions/La Control setup parameters are for when you have La control enabled.

If it ran fine previously it must be due to some change somewhere, make sure all the important sensors are giving rational readings, then investigate the new cam/sync setup and make sure its fully compatible with what you are trying to do. 102/106 lobe centers shouldn't make it run terrible, just extra overlap, this in and of itself will make you need to redo the fuel table where you previously had full VVT activity.
Scott@FP

Postby AdamW on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:29 am

Billzilla wrote:A quick question on this - Where are the notes on this? I've done a search and can't find anything on it.
FWIW the engine ran nicely with falling edge, when it was a more standard unit, for years.

Your ref/sync capture shown earlier would need a falling edge to trigger correctly so I would ignore the motec note in this case and leave both sensors set to falling. Your sensors are probably just wired "back-to-front" to what was intended.
Billzilla wrote:AFAIK you only need the lambda option for closed-loop operation, it's not needed for Quick Lambda.
I may well be wrong though ....

You do need the lambda upgrade to use the internal wideband controller with a directly wired sensor. You will need to use the PLM if you don't have the upgrade.

Do you get any errors showing when the misfire/bad running happens?
Motorsport Electronics Ltd.
AdamW
Pro User

Postby Billzilla on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Scott@FP wrote:Hit 'F1' key when on ref/sync mode setup. Scroll down to the appropriate mode for notes.

There's no notes for #28, they only go to #10.

Scott@FP wrote:You have La turned off for a direct wired sensor under adjust/sensor setup/wide band La setup.

The adjust/functions/La Control setup parameters are for when you have La control enabled.

If it ran fine previously it must be due to some change somewhere, make sure all the important sensors are giving rational readings, then investigate the new cam/sync setup and make sure its fully compatible with what you are trying to do. 102/106 lobe centers shouldn't make it run terrible, just extra overlap, this in and of itself will make you need to redo the fuel table where you previously had full VVT activity.

The sensors all seem to be fine - The water & air temps are good, the ref/sync also seem okay based on what you guys have said. (I don't know anything much about all that sorry)

AdamW wrote:Your ref/sync capture shown earlier would need a falling edge to trigger correctly so I would ignore the motec note in this case and leave both sensors set to falling. Your sensors are probably just wired "back-to-front" to what was intended.

Ta.

AdamW wrote:You do need the lambda upgrade to use the internal wideband controller with a directly wired sensor. You will need to use the PLM if you don't have the upgrade.

Do you get any errors showing when the misfire/bad running happens?

Okay so we'll wire the PLM back in and try again.
I missed checking for errors when it started backfiring. But no errors come up when it starts obviously going rich ..... yet.

I'm also tempted to plug back-in the original map from the standard-ish engine. It'll spit up some errors about the cams not moving around but it should run .... ?
Billzilla

PreviousNext

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs