Racegrade Keypad CAN IDs

Discussion and support for MoTeC Power Distribution Modules

Re: Racegrade Keypad CAN IDs

Postby Herrubermensch on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:14 am

So there is new firmware for BOTH the Racegrade keypad AND the PDMs? And the firmware permits connecting keypads as an additional "node" on the CAN bus?
Herrubermensch

Postby Robin Poenisch on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:55 pm

Yes!
PDM can be upgraded with the latest PDM Manager software and keypad has to be sent to MoTeC for updating (or buy latest version)
keypad then works with 1Mbit (maybe you can also choose 500k) and can be connected directly to the car CAN
Robin Poenisch Motorsport
Engineering Services
Electronic Systems

http://www.facebook.com/Poenisch.Motorsport
http://www.poenisch-motorsport.de
Robin Poenisch

Postby dan on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:18 pm

Take a look at the thread further down the page under ‹ Other MoTeC products ‹ PDM15 PDM16 PDM30 and PDM32 < Multiple PDMs Controlled by Same Motec Switchpad via CAN<. It looks like the same issues and further information is being discussed there. A new version of PDM software has been released (V1.7.0.0020) in December 2013. The software now has the capabilities for switchpads. Nothing on who's switchepads. There is nothing on the Motec website on switchpads.

I am going to jump on Motec a little here. From the other thread it looks like this switchpad issue has been known by Motec since May 2012. The latest software release seems to indicate this. The manual has been updated to note the use of the switchpads. The PDM manual leads one to think the switchpad is a Motec product. Will this be the case or will it be a 3rd party product like the Race Grade product. It would be nice to have seen some new releases on this development. This is something significant. I found this link between switchpads and Motec on a non-Motec forum site. I would still put something in the news section of the Motec site.

Question. How is the switchpad going to be marketed and how will we be assured what we purchase will be compatible with the Motec Software? It looks like these switchpads have been around for awhile and there are some issues that have developed due to lack of reliable information.

Another question. Has any one been able to input switchpad input values into an M1 ECU yet? From what I have been able to read so far, it looks like it should be something simple to do.

I am going to ask a question I have asked in another thread. Can we expect to see some type of certification program for 3rd party hardware. With the new M1 we are opening the door to a hole new world. Information will be critical to keeping folks from becoming frustrated and able to meet deadlines for projects.
dan

Postby chelspeed on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:13 am

> PDM can be upgraded with the latest PDM Manager software and keypad has to be sent to MoTeC for
> updating (or buy latest version) keypad then works with 1Mbit (maybe you can also choose 500k) and
> can be connected directly to the car CAN

Is this correct? I see from the latest PDM software that you can now adjust the PDM canbus speed. But I can't as the PDM needs to talk to my ADL3, SLM, LTC and UTC at 1MB. So I need the keypad to talk at 1MB too. The second ADL3 canbus is already tied up talking to ECUs at 500kB. As Robin implies above if I buy a new keypad will it come set to 1MB? Will it work on a range of canbus speeds? Do I need to specify a 1MB canbus speed when I order? Or can I adjust it in some software somewhere?
chelspeed

Postby Herrubermensch on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:22 am

chelspeed wrote:> PDM can be upgraded with the latest PDM Manager software and keypad has to be sent to MoTeC for
> updating (or buy latest version) keypad then works with 1Mbit (maybe you can also choose 500k) and
> can be connected directly to the car CAN

Is this correct? I see from the latest PDM software that you can now adjust the PDM canbus speed. But I can't as the PDM needs to talk to my ADL3, SLM, LTC and UTC at 1MB. So I need the keypad to talk at 1MB too. The second ADL3 canbus is already tied up talking to ECUs at 500kB. As Robin implies above if I buy a new keypad will it come set to 1MB? Will it work on a range of canbus speeds? Do I need to specify a 1MB canbus speed when I order? Or can I adjust it in some software somewhere?

This is what Motec USA told me, viz., that the old keypads have to be upgraded to work without the CAN gateway. I elected to use the new PDM firmware, but not make use of the keypad activation features and instead retain the CAN gateway and the prior programming for the keypads.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby chelspeed on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:57 am

Motec Europe have told me that I can order a new keypad from motec which is 1MB or 500k which I need to specify on ordering, I also have to tell them if it's the first keypad on that canbus or the second. So all clear now.
chelspeed

Previous

Return to PDM15 PDM16 PDM30 and PDM32