Drive By Wire Option

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Drive By Wire Option

Postby killerbee on Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:52 am

I have a M800 that I have been considering activating the drive by wire option on. However, I have been looking for wiring diagrams that would indicate what pins are to be used. Some mention has been made of sending in a pedal/throttle body assembly for testing to MOTEC. Most of this information is 2nd hand and I'd like to get more information.

Also DBW integration with traction control is also not well documented (that I can find).

Any additional information concerning these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Last edited by killerbee on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killerbee

Re: Drive By Wire Option

Postby Dragon on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:23 pm

If the DBW throttle has not been tested by Motec, you will have to send it to Motec, probably through your local dealer. Do ask them if your particular setup has been done first. It could save you time.
Dragon

Postby Martin on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:53 am

What throttle body and pedal would you like to use?

Traction control with DBW is not ideal in my opinion. Ign Retard and cut is way faster and responds immediately. This is only my opinion, maybe somebody else got it to work better than IGN cut and retard?

Martin
Martin
Pro User

Postby figgie on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:28 am

Martin wrote:What throttle body and pedal would you like to use?

Traction control with DBW is not ideal in my opinion. Ign Retard and cut is way faster and responds immediately. This is only my opinion, maybe somebody else got it to work better than IGN cut and retard?

Martin

actually quite the opposite :)

Traction control with the DBW is the ideal way of doing it ESPECIALLY on a turbo car. On a turbo car, doing IGN cut and retard makes the system into an inadvertent ALS system. Only way to kill the power is to control it directly via throttle manipulation of the DBW throttle.

MoTeC has already most of the Holden/General Motors DBW and Throttle pedals characterized. :)
figgie

Postby killerbee on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:38 pm

I was hoping to use a 70mm ish TB/Pedal combination. The LS1 unit might be okay but I still have to find out what its dimensions are. Is there a list of the TB/Pedal transducer combination that have been tested/characterized ? Just for the record this is going on a surpercharged trimmed stroked ford small block (331).
killerbee

Postby Martin on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:02 am

killerbee wrote:I was hoping to use a 70mm ish TB/Pedal combination. The LS1 unit might be okay but I still have to find out what its dimensions are. Is there a list of the TB/Pedal transducer combination that have been tested/characterized ? Just for the record this is going on a surpercharged trimmed stroked ford small block (331).

70mm, The nissan VQ40 has a 70mm butterfly. Just got it back from motec after characterization, so it`ll be on the documents soon. LS2 DBW units are about 90mm. Others that you might try is the BMW e90 330i thats about 74mm and you can go right up to 84mm thats found in the BMW 4.8 V8. A pedal and butterfly dont have to be used in combination, both just need to have been characterized by motec for you to just punch the PID settings and calibrations in. Yes there are documents on characterized pedals and butterfly`s but its dealer only documents.

Maybe motec can put together a list containing Part numbers etc of units that have been characterized?

figgie wrote:
Martin wrote:What throttle body and pedal would you like to use?

Martin

actually quite the opposite :)

Traction control with the DBW is the ideal way of doing it ESPECIALLY on a turbo car. On a turbo car, doing IGN cut and retard makes the system into an inadvertent ALS system. Only way to kill the power is to control it directly via throttle manipulation of the DBW throttle.

Figgie,

Ive tried DBW TC on a normally aspirated car and i had far better results with IGN Retard then Cut on the NA cars. I havent tried DBW TC on Turbo though, but i think it could be a nightmare especially if the turbo is on a good effiencey island when the DBW is used to get the torque reduced.

Have you had good results using DBW on a turbo car using DBW to control traction (boost) ? What size was the turbo? Do you feed manifold pressure into your power reduction table and gain tables?

Ive used IGN cut with good results on Turbo cars.

Regards
Martin
Martin
Pro User

Postby figgie on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:08 am

Martin wrote: Yes there are documents on characterized pedals and butterfly`s but its dealer only documents.

Maybe motec can put together a list containing Part numbers etc of units that have been characterized?

Actually MoTeC can email you that document. Just need to ask. NICELY! ;)

Martin wrote:Figgie,

Ive tried DBW TC on a normally aspirated car and i had far better results with IGN Retard then Cut on the NA cars. I havent tried DBW TC on Turbo though, but i think it could be a nightmare especially if the turbo is on a good effiencey island when the DBW is used to get the torque reduced.

Have you had good results using DBW on a turbo car using DBW to control traction (boost) ? What size was the turbo? Do you feed manifold pressure into your power reduction table and gain tables?

Ive used IGN cut with good results on Turbo cars.

Regards
Martin

Martin

Physically. The TC will use Slip as its primary means to even control the DBW. MoTeC was extremly helpful at getting this squared away :) BTW this was on a GT35r on a 3.0 engine. A spool happy turbo. :)
figgie

Postby Martin on Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:17 am

Figgie,

Sent you a PM

I didnt know there was such a list! Could this be added to the downloadable documents? (motec?)

Martin
Martin
Pro User

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs