2004 Subaru STi M800 won't start

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: 2004 Subaru STi M800 won't start

Postby stevieturbo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:40 am

Mr.Baer wrote:I guess that got worded a little weird. I have a total of 5 sensors

I have 1 crank sensor that is to be spliced into the ref and sync on the B connector into the M800. Pin b1 and b2

The cam position sensors go in to digital inputs. b7 and b8

Avcs intake goes into a33 and a34

I am trying to wire it up this way tonight I will post on the findings

Getting confusing here.

A33 and A34 are outputs ?

AVCS is the variable cam system, and the 2 x cam sensors are the same thing on the later engines ?

Or do you mean the tumbler valves below the intake ? Sounds like that's what you're connecting A33 and A34 to ?
these need power to drive them open, and hold them open ( if fitted )

On this instruction manual, B7 is a temp input ? not digital ?

http://www.motec.com/filedownload.php/M ... docid=1087

From what you are describing with the number of sensors, it sounds like the base setup for an STI7 would be the same, and there is a base map for this. ( although your USDM pins may be in a different place than EDM pins )
But functions would be the same

If yours is the later engine with 1 x crank, and only 2 cam sensors ( ie these are mounted on the rear of the heads, not the front )
Then the STI7 setup will not be right.
STI7 would ahve 4 sensors.
1 crank, 1 cam in the normal Subaru position, and 2 AVCS sensors on the rear of the heads
stevieturbo

Postby Mr.Baer on Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:13 am

On my motor the AVCS solenoid is on the front of the heads near the radiator, those should be outputs as you have to control them.

The cam sensors are located at the back of the heads ie near the firewall

B7 is a temp input however from my understanding you can use this as a auxillary digital input because it will still read a square wave, you just go into the function and set it up as a digital input.

I have been working with some of the motec guys and this is how they have suggested on how to set it up. I however did not have the time last night to try this out. Maybe today....
Mr.Baer

Postby Mr.Baer on Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:33 am

So, I connect the wiring up the way that motec has suggested, I am getting much better sounding cranking. However it seems like it still isn't quite right. I am getting a bunch of errors.

Error Ref Noise AR
Error Ref Noise TR
Error REF Runt
Error Ref Lo Level
Error No Sync Signal
Error Sync Noise AR
Error Sync Noise TR
Error Sync Runt
Error Sync Lo Level
Ref/Sync Syncronise Not sync

Abaer STi Rev 0.7.2.3 .e35
(72 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
Mr.Baer

Postby stevieturbo on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:09 am

Until the engine is started and sync'd up, not sure how much faith you can put in those errors.

Can Motec not supply you a base map for the car ? At least then you could see how they want the inputs configured.
stevieturbo

Postby Mr.Baer on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:56 am

stevieturbo wrote:Until the engine is started and sync'd up, not sure how much faith you can put in those errors.

Can Motec not supply you a base map for the car ? At least then you could see how they want the inputs configured.

Last night I got the car to idle very rough.

Motec does not have a base map for this car, I have asked a few times. the car also has a custom mil-spec/auto-spec wiring harness.

I had to change a bunch of settings that we given to me by motec.

One of the main ones that got the car started was the cam tooth profile. They told me to set to 4, once I was reading through it since the cam gear is a 4-1 it tells you to count all teeth including missing teeth so I set that to 5 and the car fired right up.
Mr.Baer

Postby SprinterTRD on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Why not get the Instillation documents for the MoTeC WRX/STI 7 13008 OEM ECU.

Use the same wiring pinout thats in the document then downgrade the ECU to version 2.3, get the start file 13008A 2261AH180. That file has CAM but no DBW

Get the engine going then upgrade back up to 3.5.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby Mr.Baer on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:11 am

SprinterTRD wrote:Why not get the Instillation documents for the MoTeC WRX/STI 7 13008 OEM ECU.

Use the same wiring pinout thats in the document then downgrade the ECU to version 2.3, get the start file 13008A 2261AH180. That file has CAM but no DBW

Get the engine going then upgrade back up to 3.5.

Been working with motec on this for about 2 months, don't you think if this would have worked they would have suggested it?

They didn't even know how to set up a M800 for a USDM STi.
Mr.Baer

Postby SprinterTRD on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:51 am

Now that makes sense, Its the first time you have mentioned is a US car.

The theory is the same though, just rewire your loom as listed in the document.
Then all the setup has been done for you.

As long as ref/sync modes are the same it should work.

I should ask have you changed the block head spacing that would change the relationship between the crank and cam teeth? If you have then that could be the reason the engine wont start as the ECU is looking for a specific relation ship between the two patterns.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby stevieturbo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 am

SprinterTRD wrote:Now that makes sense, Its the first time you have mentioned is a US car.

The theory is the same though, just rewire your loom as listed in the document.
Then all the setup has been done for you.

As long as ref/sync modes are the same it should work.

I should ask have you changed the block head spacing that would change the relationship between the crank and cam teeth? If you have then that could be the reason the engine wont start as the ECU is looking for a specific relation ship between the two patterns.

He would need it configured for a EDM/JDM 2006+ DBW car....and on that note should also say. As far as I am aware, the new shape hatchbacks will also have the same configuration as far as crank/cam triggers and the intake cams.
Although obviously they also have exhaust cams too.

The EDM/JDM pre 2006 stuff ( ie the base STI7 file ) is just different, completely different.

Contact Dave Rowe here in the UK, http://www.epsmotorsport.com/shop/

Even if you have to pay some money for the info, he WILL know how to fix it.

So for your 2004 USDM STi, the engine setup should be the same as the 2006+ EDM/JDM DBW cars be they WRX or STI models

There is no question he'll be able to do it. Although it does seem baffling Motec themselves cant offer any proper help !!

is it Motec USA your dealing with, some dealer in the US, or Motec directly in Australia ?

Also does seem rather baffling and frustrating at the lack of help on the forum from Motec, for what should be a very easy fix.
stevieturbo

Postby Mr.Baer on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:35 am

So here's an update. I have the car running, however it seems to be popping/backfiring. I am also having an issue with some errors. I am still getting a Ref/Sync Synchronized error. I had to swap the cam signal wiring to make sure I had them in the proper place. I am planning to do a Timing test today to make sure my timing is correct. I still have yet to receive any valid help from Motec.
Mr.Baer

PreviousNext

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs