Wiper direct method logic

Discussion and support for MoTeC Power Distribution Modules

Wiper direct method logic

Postby aalzuhair on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:39 pm

Could someone please explain the wiper direct method logic that one must use in setting up the wipers.

Thanks,

Az
aalzuhair

Re: Wiper direct method logic

Postby figgie on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:42 am

aalzuhair

if you could avoid doing that it would be better.......

What car??

Why not leverage the stock wiper systems circuitry and power that? In most cars, the wiper system is it's own independant system which can be isolated from the harness. I did that with my car. Time consuming BUT still works exactly like stock with the benefit of being able to monitor current/voltage useage when active via the PDM software ;)
figgie

Postby aalzuhair on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:28 am

Thanks figgie,

its going on a 350z and the thing is that the OEM wiring is heavy :-) and everything is connected via a smart power distributor, something like a PDM which can not be re-wired.

Thus, my only option is to have the PDM control the wipers .. I guess MoTeC support should have the answer

Az
aalzuhair

Postby DarrenR on Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 pm

You get more functionality out of running the direct method over the cars normal system, as you can trigger the wiper from any source connected to the PDM and change your wiper dwells.
The down side is you only get the high speed wipe (which isn't a problem for most people) and it uses more PDM inputs.

Depending on the wiper motor, it is usually best if you can connect the park switch (brush switch on motor) to use the normally open (NO) contact, so that you get a switch to ground while the wiper is moving and open circuit when the wiper is at the bottom of the wind screen. This is because the NO contact switches just before the NC contact which helps in stopping the wipers in the park position.
So you end up with a input Wiper.Switch.Park that is true when the wipers are not at the bottom of the screen. Remember to set the times for the switch input both to 0.00 seconds.

There are two methods of setting up you wipers.
1. Simply put the Wiper.Switch.Park = True in the Wiper.Output (output 9) condition. This means if the wiper is not at the bottom of the screen then the wiper runs.
Then OR the trigger conditions with this. The trigger condition might be Flash 0.5s on, 6s off when Wiper.Switch.Intermittent = true.

2. Use the inverse of the Wiper.Switch.Park channel in a Set-Reset operation as the reset condition to drive Wiper.Output (output 9). This means if the Wiper.Switch.ParkInverse channel gets the shortest of pulses (>20mS) the wiper will stop regardless of if the wiper travels past the park position, until the set condition (trigger to start the wiper) becomes true.

The attached PDM config contains both methods. 1. on output 9 and 2. on output 10.
Output 9 must be used tho, as this is the only output to have motor braking to stop the wiper suddenly.
I Also added a wiper trigger when the washer is used. Wipers wait for 0.5 seconds to wet screen then wipe for 4 seconds (~3 wipes) after the washer has stopped.

Another function i am about to do on my own road car (with a PDM30) once i get ground speed on CAN into the PDM is speed dependant wiper dwell. Where my wiper dwell varies on the wiper stork as normal but also on ground speed, so longer dwell at low speeds, and shorter dwell at high speed. Also wipe immediately when going from stopped to moving!
Attachments
Wiper Control.pdm
Both methods of normal wiper control are in this PDM configuration
(37.61 KiB) Downloaded 2343 times
Darren Reynolds
MoTeC Research Centre - Melbourne, Australia.
DarrenR
MoTeC

Postby aalzuhair on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:40 am

Thank you very much :-)
aalzuhair

Postby ptrsnmarc on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:48 pm

been also having problems with the wiper motor. thanks for providing the information and the pdm. i can't seem to find other references online :D
ptrsnmarc

Postby Herrubermensch on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:50 am

Darren, would you please re-post your attachment with direct wiper logic diagrams? The attachment no longer pulls up. Thank you.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby PQatPIT on Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:00 am

Works great here. Anyway:
Attachments
Wiper Control.pdm
(37.61 KiB) Downloaded 1591 times
PQatPIT

Postby Herrubermensch on Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:28 am

Thanks. Must be a problem on my end because it still does not pull up.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby pftuning on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Herrubermensch wrote:Thanks. Must be a problem on my end because it still does not pull up.

--Peter

I can get it as well.
I can email it to you if you PM me your email.
Peter Florance
PFTuning
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
http://www.pftuning.com
pftuning

Next

Return to PDM15 PDM16 PDM30 and PDM32