engine stalling after cranking

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

engine stalling after cranking

Postby niv1812 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:25 am

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me out. When I crank my subaru EJ25 engine, the car wants to start but once i let off the key, the engine stalls completely. I'm using 1050cc FIC low impedance injectors and my current is set to 2.

Thanks for your help
niv1812

Re: engine stalling after cranking

Postby Holmz on Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:33 pm

niv1812 wrote:Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me out. When I crank my subaru EJ25 engine, the car wants to start but once I let off the key, the engine stalls completely. I'm using 1050cc FIC low impedance injectors and my current is set to 2.

Thanks for your help

In general one needs fuel, an oxidiser (air), and heat for fire.
The heat parts comes from the spark plug - so you should probably check that you are getting a spark after it initially fires.
If you squirt some either in just after it starts, that could also give insight in whether it is a fuel or spark problem, as if it runs when there is the occasional squirt of the either, then you must have a spark... which leaves fuel.

I assume that it has voltage to the coil all the time, so that the ECU is sinking the current during dwell and then stops sinking when it is time to fire the plug.
On some engines, there is a separate wire for the start position than for normal "engine running" position... So you may want to check the voltage at the coil both in the running position, as well as the start position... Maybe with the starter disconnected?

(No idea about for your particular engine though)
Holmz

Re: engine stalling after cranking

Postby mstech on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:00 am

If you crack the throttle slightly, does the car run after the starter motor is removed?

I have found that the standard EJ throttle position doesn't allow for enough airflow to allow an engine to run if the idle control is not setup. See if you can adjust it so that you have about 1~2% throttle, and then try cranking the engine.
mstech

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs