Problem with 'Multi Config Setup' with variable axis data

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Problem with 'Multi Config Setup' with variable axis data

Postby Lauri Eho on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:11 am

Greetings,

It's been a while since my last visit on the forum, so first of all my warmest regards to all the guys working with Motec systems. My message is mainly directed to Motec support guys but for sure all the help is appreciated.

My problem concerns the Multi Configuration Setup on the 'Hundred series' ECU's. The problem occurred in a M400 ECU's 'Multi Configuration Setup', which utilized variable load calculation method on the main ignition map via switch configured to AT5-input (different calculation method and axis values were used on the main ignition map). I noticed irregular operation while I was having the TPS as a load axis on the 'Adjust Slot' and the MAP as a load axis on the 'Slot 1'. Although both configuration files worked perfectly when sent to the 'Adjust Slot', neither of those worked on any of the other 'Slots1-3' (not working = meaning that the ignition timing did not match the main ignition map). It didn't have positive effect whether the 'Reset ECU when switching' were tagged or not, in fact tagging it ON made the engine work even more worse.

I started out searching the reason from my own setup both configuration and wiring harness point of view. But it seemed that everything with them were fine. As I'm working closely with the local Motec dealers here in Finland (both of them superb guys with 24/7 willing to help) they forwarded my issues to Motec support. We received replies proposing config errors and config file corruption, both of which I had already excluded (and actually mentioned on the very first e-mail I reported the problem). So we left waiting for further information from Motec. Involved in the 'same industry' I was curious to find out the issue. Since I'm also working with OEM ECU's of the automotive industry, and as the Motec ECU's share fairly common processor and external memories, I thought I had a look on the data. Not claiming I've got enough knowledge to make conclusions, but it looked like it could easily be a programming issue with the memory data location and reading. I didn't bother to spend more time on it, and left waiting for Motec guys to come up with an answer.

Shortly I received a ECU Manager update (Beta version) which were noted: "Multi Config: Fixed incorrect use of adjust-slot Axis data and Input Setup data when running on non-adjust slots". Although it didn't work either. The 'Adjust Slot' still worked as it should, but as the configuration were changed with the switch on AT5-input, the whole ECU halted and the engine obviously stalled. Switching the ECU back to 'Adjust slot' via AT5-input didn't anymore have effect and the ECU remained inoperative. At this point I couldn't even get connection to the ECU with my laptop anymore, until I went to the File->Multi-Config Setup and manually forced the ECU to the 'Adjust Slot'. I tried to send the firmware few times and reset the ECU but the problem remained. In any case this issue wasn't such a concern since the software was indeed a Beta version, and it's fully understandable that these type of problems might occur.

Now it's been several weeks with no updates or any information. Even a response from Motec telling that whether they are working with the problem or not would be appreciated, but at the moment haven't got any reply. I've tested the problem with one M400 and two M880 ECU's, all of them which would require either variable efficiency or load calculation method via 'Multi Configuration Setup'. As this feature is very much needed (and as I'm not too keen to explain people why it's not working on their 2500-5000€ ECU's) I've implemented it with an alternative solution. What makes me very disappointed though, is that noticing the problem in first places happened in a situation which resulted in a race engine turbo and exhaust manifold failure, since at the time Motec was actually already aware of the problem (Beta version dated well back) and it could have been avoided just by informing about it.

So as a caution to everyone using this feature, remember to take special care in case the 'Multi Configuration Setup' is used to change map axis values. I'm sure though Motec support guys here can inform what's the situation and whether there will be a solution shortly. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Lauri Eho
Lauri Eho Engineering Ltd
http://www.lauriehoengineering.fi
eho.lauri@gmail.com
Lauri Eho

Re: Problem with 'Multi Config Setup' with variable axis data

Postby dfarley on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:08 pm

I have run multi-config switching with success but it took some trial and error. Sometimes even with the reset ECU option enabled the ECU momentarily appears to be lost when reviewing the logged data. The values logged did not match the tables. Ultimately we found that the tables between maps had to be setup exactly the same even if they were not used. The function or output did not need to be active but the table axis setup had to match between configs. In my experience it is not possible to change table axis between configs when using this feature.
dfarley

Re: Problem with 'Multi Config Setup' with variable axis data

Postby SprinterTRD on Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:44 pm

What version of software are you using?
Post your config so MoTeC Can test it.

Try using a earlier version to see if you get the same problem.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs