CDL Configuration: Some basic questions

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

CDL Configuration: Some basic questions

Postby PaddyMcP on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:58 pm

I thought it would be good to start a thread for the club guys who are on a smaller budget than the bigger teams to ask some basic configuration questions. I think there are more and more club guys going motec because of this well priced dash logger. Personally I have a CDL track kit paired with a ViPec ECU installed/calibrated professionally. It's communicating via CAN. I've run it for a few events and I'm basically on my own now for small changes and tweaks to the dash configuration.

GPS clock channel.
My GPS time is 4 hours fast. How is this even possible? More important, how do I change it?

Fuel gauge.
Is there an easy way to do this with injector pulse width signal coming from the ecu?

Predictive lap time channel.
This shows 0:00.00 constantly and I don't know why. Lap gain loss channel works perfectly. I don't really understand how that's possible or how to fix it.

Pit lane limiter "alarm" using an SLM-C.
Is there a way to send a signal from the ECU over CAN to tell the dash the pit limiter is on? Can an Alarm be set in the SLM-C that does not look the same as a basic alarm. Maybe flashing green lights. I don't want the signal on the SLMC to look the same as "engine temp hot." Make sense? If this can't be done, can a full tilt SLM be used with a CDL? Is it compatible?

Reference laps
If anyone is running in the Northeast USA and wants some reference laps, I'm starting to accumulate a small list. These are hugely valuable and I wish i had some when I started with this dash. I run NHMS, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Mosport, Tremblant, VIR, Summit Point, NJMP. I have some but not all. Would love to share. I run a Honda Challenge S2000 and am typically a few seconds a lap faster than a spec miata if you want to know the general pace of my reference laps.

Thanks a million, love this stuff, can't wait to get the most out of this system.
-Paddy
PaddyMcP

Re: CDL Configuration: Some basic questions

Postby Holmz on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:41 pm

PaddyMcP wrote:...
GPS clock channel.
My GPS time is 4 hours fast. How is this even possible? More important, how do I change it?

If anyone is running in the Northeast USA...

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=179
Something about the northeast USA being at UTC -5 (with +1 hour offset for daylight savings time)... So I think in a few weeks you GPS will seem to be 5 hours off.

But the GPS is either UTC or Zulu, so it IS correct, just different from local time.
Holmz

Postby PaddyMcP on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:31 am

Understood. There must be a way to convert it either in the dash, or in i2 so my data time stamps are correct. I'll dig through the help manual.

-Paddy
PaddyMcP

Postby JamieA on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:05 pm

The GPS ONLY sends out UTC time. we just display what the GPS sends.

to change GPS time to local time can be a bit difficult. We dont have any easy way to manipulate the recieved values. I would suggest leaving this as it is as GMT time.

Fuel used, you should use the fuel used pulse or fuel used channel out of the ECU if you have it available.

We dont store reference laps, as you understand.

We can display a Pit speed limit warning, and light, but not sure how you get the trigger from the viapec.

Predicitive lap time channel should work, I have used it... It will only be available on your first flying lap when you have a refrence lap loaded...
JamieA

Postby chelspeed on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:28 am

> to change GPS time to local time can be a bit difficult

Really? I regularly change from zulu time to british summer time (about every 6 months......). I have a couple of maths channels, zulu time is GPS time / 10, BST is zulu time +100 (BST is 1 hour ahead of zulu time for those who aren't familiar). That's with an ADL3 and the Race tech GPS over RS232. For the same set up US time is zulu time -400 would presumably work.

But perhaps CDL don't have math channels or the newer GPS output a different format.
chelspeed

Postby JamieA on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:17 am

CDL3 doesnt have the maths functions.

-Jamie
JamieA

Postby Martin on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:29 am

use a table to have the offset you want
Martin
Pro User

Postby PaddyMcP on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks Martin.

The first time I used the dash logger at Mosport in Canada, it sorted the log files perfectly and It was very easy to sort through and analyze in i2. This was with all the default settings in the dash with no engine data being transmitted to the dash.

Interesting things going on all of a sudden with the lap generation function. It seems that the log file doesn't split up laps ever since I connected my ecu data and played with the logging settings. It creates one big long 1 hour log file for 3 separate 20 min race sessions. Track map isn't divided into individual corner numbers, and I get a gps trace in pit lane and paddock (which i didn't get before). I've gone in and used the "lap editor" to try and salvage the data with very mixed results.

It seems that the beacon channel generated by the GPS is missing in my most recent log files where I'm having trouble. However, when I view the configuration file, it says it's logging the beacon at the default once/sec. So the dash file says to log it, but it doesn't show it being logged in i2. Could this be my problem? I compared the log data to try and diagnose the problem and this is the only big difference that I see in the files. If it is the problem, what's the next step?

Thanks in advance gentlemen,
-Paddy
PaddyMcP

Postby gkwestfrank on Fri May 03, 2013 1:32 pm

i hate to say this, but there is a reason why data aq guy make their living and needed at track.

anyway, if you are on verion I, u need to move it to J...........
gkwestfrank

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3