sdl3 as stand alone data logger, no ecu, how to?

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

Re: sdl3 as stand alone data logger, no ecu, how to?

Postby AdamW on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am

Dimitrios,
Actually I think Holmz is mistaken and might be assuming that the SDL3 comes with some small amount of logging memory as standard. In fact it doesn't - you must buy the 16MB logging "upgrade" if you want to do any logging at all - even if you might only need 500Kb. Without the logging upgrade, the SDL3 will only work as a display, it will not do any logging.

There are many other budget alternaitves that will log what you want for much less money, but the Motec dash range & I2 software really are nice to use and exceptionally powerful. Maybe a 2nd hand Motec might be an option?
For a budget system recommendation, have a look at the AEM AQ1 (~$USD400), It will not do any display but will log all the sensors you require. I have recently installed one in a drag car and think its probably the best budget system available and it's software is really good.
Motorsport Electronics Ltd.
AdamW
Pro User

Postby JamieA on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:05 pm

I think Adam meant to say was that you should look at the MoTeC CDL3, which is <$3000 aud as a logger. this is the best setup for a lower cost applicaion.

-Jamie
JamieA

Postby Holmz on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:14 pm

spracing wrote:O.K. Holmz

good point and analysis, in the summary, what can I do to see those data? I really need those 15secs logged somehow as I can't have all the data in the same moment for analysis, has motec something specific for our application?

Friendly

Dimitrios

Yeah MoTeC and few other of their competitors equipment can do that.
I would start with the sensors, as that is pretty much the same until you get to the connector at the far end.
It will either be an ECU, a DASH, or an ACL.
Since you have the M400 you are most of the way there.
If you get too many channels you will use a VIM or E888 (you will need to ask which one though).

So I would start with Oil Pressure and a head temp sensor and RPM (and maybe throttle position).
The first 3 or 4 will take you while chasing tools, diagrams and getting the S/W loaded up.
Once that works the rest will be another 1 hour or two of work.

You might have to you use some event like a push button to start recording if you have high rates. - but worry about that later.
Holmz

Postby spracing on Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:07 am

Sorry for being late on answer

now it's more obvious, so the display as bought is a display only, no logging at all, so this get us also away from the application as I asked the dealer again about the logging option on the sdl3. Maybe we have to search in the other way like the aem was mentioned, thanks a lot for your inputs and thoughts, are welcome and highly appreciated

Friendly

Dimitrios
spracing

Previous

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3