V2 overlay in i2

Forum for discussions on the MoTeC V2 Camera system

V2 overlay in i2

Postby PhilR on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:36 am

Hello everyone..

Having issues trying to play an overlay of two video's simultaneously that are associated with data files. One video plays as it should and the other is "glitchy" making it difficult to use as a compare. Attached are the settings in V2. Does anyone have any setting suggestions, tips or tricks to get the video's to play smoothly. I've heard that converting to .AVI will work but I've not had success with this either.

Appreciate any help...
cheers
Phil
Attachments
V2 settings.JPG
V2 settings.JPG (64.99 KiB) Viewed 14665 times
v2 compare.JPG
v2 compare.JPG (229.56 KiB) Viewed 14665 times
PhilR

Re: V2 overlay in i2

Postby David Ferguson on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 am

Have you clicked your cursor into one of the video panes to make that the active input? I have found that video doesn't display smoothly until I do that.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:31 pm

Hi Phil,

This is a known limitation of i2 when playing back dual videos. It is related to the process that is used to maintain synchronisation of the two videos with the data.

We are looking at a resolution to it, but it will require a comprehensive re-write of i2 to change it.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby PhilR on Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:35 am

Ok thanks for the reply's .....

I really hope this gets sorted as it's a powerful tool comparing two video's with data.

Has anyone done this successfully with converting or manipulating the video as a work around?

cheers'
PhilR

Postby adrian on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:53 am

This whole issue comes about from the fact that you can't just play 2 videos at the same time and expect them to stay synced to each other. It just doesn't work. You'll find that by the end of a lap the two videos will be out by a couple of seconds.

To try and rectify the above issue we only play one video and then seek the other one. So for each frame of the playing video we calculate the time of the frame and then seek the other video (and the data curser) to that point in time. Unfortunately because of the way video codecs work the process of seeking to a point in a video is very time consuming (think about when you rewind a video - it doesn't play properly) so you end up with one video looking very jerky.

Unfortunately because the root cause is the video codec (which is Microsoft or other 3rd party software not MoTeC's) there isn't any work around other than writing your own codec specifically designed to work in this way.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby PhilR on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 am

Thanks for the clarification...

For the most part it serves the purpose when viewing frame by frame and getting a snapshot of the drivers view along with data..

I find it hard to watch two video's simultaneously and decipher what's going on anyway... Seems to be more of a 'cool factor' feature.
Thanks for help
PhilR

Return to V2