DBC export from Display Creator changing values

Discussion on the use of Display creator software for MoTeC Colour displays

DBC export from Display Creator changing values

Postby BFGracing on Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:47 pm

Hello

Im doing something wrong during export of DBC file from my Display Creator.

For example channel ACD pump pressure on Display Creator starts from 48bit:
Display Creator.png
Display Creator.png (244.29 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

But after exportin DBC file from my config it is changing and same channel starts from 56bit
Race Studio 3.png
Race Studio 3.png (324.25 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

What Im missing?
BFGracing

Re: DBC export from Display Creator changing values

Postby SOReilly on Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:47 am

Hello,

The DBC generated by Dash Manager for Display Creator will be restructured if any channels are added or removed in the Display Creator Channels list.

Normally this isn't an issue as the DBC is only used by Display Creator, Display Creator will prompt to update the communcations information if the linked DBC file is modified.

I noticed you're opening the DBC with Race Studio, is this just so you can view how the DBC is structured?

Is there an issue you're having which has led you to looking at this?
SOReilly
MoTeC

Postby BFGracing on Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:43 pm

I want to export my working Motec Setup into Aim Smartycam3 to have data from ecu into overlay.

This is why I want to make it simple but... something is wrong to make it simple ;)
BFGracing

Postby SOReilly on Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:47 am

The DBC generated by Dash Manager for Display Creator is only used by Display Creator. These signals are not transmitted by the CAN1 or CAN2 interfaces and would not be visible to any devices on any canbus.

If you are looking to transmit signals from your dash to another device then you would configure a transmit message on the apropriate canbus under 'Connections>Communcations'

You would need to clarify with Aim what signals the camera system needs to see so you can set up your transmit message to suit.
SOReilly
MoTeC

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:25 pm

The easiest way to connect a SmartyCAM to a MoTeC is to configure the dash to send the VCS Transmit Compound Full and the SmartyCAM to receive the same. This has the channels normally desired for overlay on video. Aim has two templates available one for 1Mbit/sec and one for 500Kbit/sec. Just choose the one that matches your CAN configuration.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Return to Display Creator