DC Preserved Channels with Menu's

Discussion on the use of Display creator software for MoTeC Colour displays

Re: DC Preserved Channels with Menu's

Postby SOReilly on Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:10 am

Anthony wrote:Is this the best way to free up channels when at the 188 channels in use limit?
Any downsides doing in this way vs the automated way other than the time required to set it up?

If you have hit the maximum of 188 in your Display Creator Channels list then yes relaying the messages from one of your canbusses will allow for more channels to be brought in to Display Creator.

The downside of this is that Dash Manager won't add the relayed messages into a DBC so you will need to manually set this up in Display Creator.

Typically you would relay messages from external devices that you already have a DBC for, saving you having to manually create the DBC required for Display Creator.
SOReilly
MoTeC

Postby Anthony on Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:36 am

Needing some more info on the relay to display creator set-up.

Is there any documentation any where?
Does it work on a C1xx with DC on the internal display?
I've tried importing the same dbc into both DM & DC but don't seem to be receiving the data in DC.

If anyone has a functioning example they can share it'd be much appreciated
Anthony

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:42 am

Did you check the "Relay to Display Creator" box in Communications Setup for the CAN bus that the messages are on?

Why don't you post your config (in a new topic/thread), and we can fix it to make it work?
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby mapper on Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:56 pm

I tried it on two setups with preserving the incomming channel from DC and send it back to DM. Something just looks wrong. The preserved channel goes back to during a restart of the dash.
I believe there is a bug in the C1212. Has anyone come up with a solution?
I also tried using counters. But this shifted the value sometimes by 1 during startup.
mapper

Postby Anthony on Mon May 01, 2023 1:32 am

mapper wrote:I tried it on two setups with preserving the incomming channel from DC and send it back to DM. Something just looks wrong. The preserved channel goes back to during a restart of the dash.
I believe there is a bug in the C1212. Has anyone come up with a solution?
I also tried using counters. But this shifted the value sometimes by 1 during startup.

I did face that issue also, mine is working fine now though.
Not sure if the correct fix or not but from memory I unchecked the “default value on timeout” on the display receive template.
If you want to upload your config happy to take a look and compare with what I’ve done.
Anthony

Postby mapper on Tue May 02, 2023 10:55 pm

Anthony wrote:Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your assistance, I did think today to try use a DM counter.
Have done so tonight and tested and it all works as expected. (I have ticked the check box for preserve value)

It makes me wonder if there is a bug in the regular preserved channels function.
Removing the M1 Transmit piece, and using dash pages as an example to simplify it.
I wasn't able to get the dash to reboot on the last selected page, it would always go back to default.
However, using the DM counter it all works fine...

Thanks again

Did you use DC numeric editor with DM preserved channels or DM counter function (with preserve selected)?
Need to get it a try to remove the value on timeout. One installation before I found exactly that, the counter went one up or down during startup. So I guess it made something strange on start up.
Maybe the rotary controller needs to be set to "Default value on timeout" too?
mapper

Postby Anthony on Wed May 03, 2023 4:45 pm

I have done both DC numeric editor > DM counter (preserve ticked) and DC numeric editor > DM preserved channel.
With the preserve channel option I used 1minute + the rotary controller back button = 1 as the condition, for my set-up the back button always gets pressed to exit the menus. both of these options worked fine.

Im currently working on another project and Im using menu's with sub menu's in DC. (screenshot below ignore PG3 its there for a future page)
The sub menu sets the value of the output channel when the item is selected.
This is then transmitted from DC to DM and set as a DM preserved channel the DM preserved channel is then transmitted back to DC to close the loop and update the display page

I prefer the last method as it allows an image to be selected as opposed to just a number so for something like display pages it works alot better IMO.
Menu Example.png
Menu Example.png (57.94 KiB) Viewed 6246 times

On your question re rotary controller "Default value on timeout" this is on by default, I think it is on by default whenever you create a new template, I had to turn this OFF only for the received DC channels in DM under the communications display tab.
Anthony

Postby mapper on Tue May 16, 2023 7:58 pm

Thank you for the detailed answer.

I finally get it working. Uncheck of "Default value on timeout" was the fix.
I would really wish the MoTeC DM and DC help file would be more detailed, and explaining all that details. Also some new functions added with the last couple of updates are not covered in the help file at all.
So much time was wasted with fiddling around and try countless different options to get it working. Writing a proper documentation would save the MoTeC support team a lot of work in the long term...
mapper

Previous

Return to Display Creator