Assistance Displaying Message/Channel from .dbc File

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

Assistance Displaying Message/Channel from .dbc File

Postby Sedrick on Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:02 am

I apologize in advance, I am a novice with this.

I purchased a C125 towards the end of the last year. I have the ability to connect to the C125 via my vehicle's CAN Network or via my vehicle's OBDII, so feel free to advise using the one you're most familiar with.

I've obtained a few .dbc files from OpenDBC, and I am attempting to see which will provide the parameters I wish to be displayed on the C125. I've been using the past few weekends to both acclimate myself to Dash Manager and understand CAN bus using MoTeC and non-MoTeC resources.

That said, I am still having difficulty understanding if I am supposed to import, then map each message individually or if I should create new or edit existing Received Channels.

Would it be possible to point me to a step by step example of a .dbc which has been either imported || created || edited in Dash Manager or perhaps create an example using a message from the attached .dbc file?

Any help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Attachments
subaru_global_2020_hybrid_generated.dbc
.dbc file obtained from OpenDBC
(12.77 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Sedrick

Re: Assistance Displaying Message/Channel from .dbc File

Postby NathanB on Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:35 pm

Hi,

The normal process is to open or start a new config in C125 Dash Manager, and under the connections > communications menu the can comms popup will come up.

From there you would select the can bus that will be connected to the factory can bus and click on the Import DBC button.

Unfortunately the DBC file you have downloaded has been generated with a few lines that don't conform to the DBC format standard, as well as some items appearing out of order causing syntax errors.

It also has not been completed entirely correctly, as some CAN Id's have a mix of intel and motorola endians. There are also channels that have not been completely defined as almost all channels are unitless and several have default factors of 1, which gives them more range than that channel will read over.

With this collection of errors, I don't have much faith it will provide you with many accurate channels.

As such, I have done a very crude import of the channels, which i will send you via DM.

This will require the 6.50C beta dash manager from the website to use.
NathanB
MoTeC

Re: Assistance Displaying Message/Channel from .dbc File

Postby Sedrick on Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:22 am

Thank you very much for your assistance!

I've downloaded the configuration file you put together for me and the beta release of Dash Manager you mentioned.

I'll also see if I can find new a .dbc file source(s). The other 3 OpenDBC files in for the same make seem to have the same issues you mentioned when I briefly skimmed through them.

So over the next few days I'll see what I can accomplish and reach back out should I need additional assistance.

One more question you may be able to assist me with. The MoTeC Can Inspector is not capturing anything when I change the when I change the cable/connector from ODBII to CAN. I can switch between the two because of C125 cable harness's interchangeability. The Can Inspector doesn't show any CAN information live nor when I stop and attempt to save. Have you run into a a similar issue before?

Thank you once again!
Sedrick

Return to Colour displays