New installation C127 not seeing M150

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

New installation C127 not seeing M150

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:46 am

I am adding an M150 and Ci127 to my buggy. The C127 is currently running the simulation mode, I can connect dash manager to it and have run the test screen and it works. I have an unlock code, but can’t figure out where to access input for that. Is this something I need to put in each password location under passwords to get the screen to function?
M150 shows cranking rpms and such, but this information isn’t reflected on the C127. I am trying to determine of I have a communication problem or if the unlock which I have not found a place to enter is the problem.

Any help is appreciated.
Jolly Wrenchers

Re: New installation C127 not seeing M150

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:06 am

If the dash is still in demo mode, it sounds like you haven't uploaded a configuration.

Have you created a new configuration (use the M1 ECU template) and transmitted that to the dash?

Is the ECU connected to the correct CAN bus to match the dash configuration?
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:04 pm

I can confirm a configuration is there, went ahead and updated it with my vehicle information and saved it. I'm able to bring it out of the C127 and the new vehicle information comes with it. M150 > Package > workbook > vehicle > communications outbound communications were set to CAN 1, there is only information in the configuration for CAN 2 in the C127, so I changed the output in the Package to CAN 2 (and saved) and there was no difference. Checked the CAN speed and M1 was set to 1M on CAN 2 in the C127. I tried "default" and 500K no difference there either. Still not finding anywhere to enter that unlock code either.

I am getting CAN errors in M1, I am remembering LTC 1&2 CAN error (running 2 O2 sensors) and another but not the specifics of that one.

Ran out of idea's and energy for today.
Jolly Wrenchers

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:05 pm

First, you need to use the terms in the software.

"saved my configuration" could mean saved using the menu "File->Save" to save it to the local computer disk -- not that you used the menu "Online->Send Configuration" which transmits / sends the configuration to the C127 dash.

When you retrieve a configuration from the dash using "Online->Get Configuration", that receives the configuration and checks for a matching file on your local computer. The Vehicle details are only contained on your local computer and do not appear in the dash file. If you use Get Configuration on a different computer, the vehicle details will match that computer. The configuration "file name" is the only thing that stays with the configuration.

Next CAN buses -- the CAN bus numbering is for a particular device's physical set of pins. Your M150 has three CAN buses, and the C127 has two. So which CAN bus on the M150 is connected to which CAN bus on the C127? Set the M150 "ECU Transmit CAN Bus" to the CAN bus on the M150 that is connected to the dash. In the C127 Dash Manager, make sure the various "M1_General_0x6XX_Version X" templates are under the CAN bus that was used to connect the ECU. The default for new "M1" template is the C127 CAN 2 (pins 26 and 27). The default CAN bus speed of 1Mbit/s is recommended for ECU to Dash communications.

Don't know what your "unlock code" is (perhaps the dash enable?), but dash options (features) are entered with the menu "Online->Dash Options (Upgrades)". These are typically "Data Logging", "Pro Analysis", "I/O", "Display Creator" etc.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:17 pm

Thank-you for sticking with me on this David.

I'm referring to "unlock code" as that is what the firmware developer used to describe the code he sent. When you say "dash enable" I am guessing you are a couple of steps ahead of me, I was going to bring those option online if they weren't already enabled after I got the dash up and operational. I will try to see if that is something I can put that code to use for tomorrow morning.

I agree, my use of the terminology still needs work. It is my first exposure to this platform and it is like learning a new language to me. Honestly, I felt pretty comfortable having "sent" the "configuration" and then exporting and saving the configuration to my PC. Having read your comment I feel less confident and will double check this also tomorrow morning. I was under the impression the dash needed the vehicle details in order to calculate speed, gear and some g-force outputs. I will try to remember that is a PC specific entry and not stored on the dash.

"Set the M150 "ECU Transmit CAN Bus" to the CAN bus on the M150 that is connected to the dash" I'm having a hard time following this, I thought I was choosing which CAN bus the M150 should use when interacting with ECU Transmit CAN bus option, where would I find which CAN bus is connected to the dash? Currently I don't believe the M150 is connected to the dash.

Again, I appreciate your help here. I am a new MoTeC user working with a BETA package for my application. Once we can get this ironed out it will be a pretty big leap forward for us.
Jolly Wrenchers

Postby David Ferguson on Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:38 pm

It's possible your "unlock code" is unique feature of your firmware. The standard MoTeC GP packages for the M150 don't have any "unlock code", but I am aware that the RDS Geartronics firmware does have some kind of license code that must be entered.

Your MoTeC dealer, and/or firmware supplier should be providing the help for this. If you want to share: Who is the firmware developer? What is the name of the package? What is the application?

I would either review wiring documentation that shows how your CAN bus is connected, or examine and the wiring harness for clues (i.e the M150 Harness might have a connected labeled "CAN2 - Dash", and the Dash harness might have a connector labeled "CAN1 - ECU".) Those two connectors might be attached to each other, so the CAN bus used by each one would be identified.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:59 am

I can reach out to the developer come Monday. I am just trying to avoid bugging them too much with beginner MoTeC questions out of the gate. As I mentioned it is a BETA scenario, with no one offering this as anything close to plug-and-play.

In fairness I have a tuner friend that is pretty familiar with the MoTeC platform who is helping when he has time also. My goal is to just keep learning and moving this forward at the best pace I can. When everyone else is busy I am finding it useful to research this forum and if not finding what I need to post my questions here.

It is a really steep learning curve, but I am loving it.

Here in a couple of hours I’ll be back out with the machine again and get more answers to these questions and let you know what I find. Pretty sure I remember the C127 Race loom just being labeled as “dash” for the CAN bus connection.

Again, thank-you for your help David!
Jolly Wrenchers

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:34 am

David, I see what you were trying to get me to see now. I was getting confused between what was in the dash (a demo as you suggested) and what I was seeing that hadn't been sent to the dash that showed much more options to interact with.

I believe the proper configuration is something the developer is going to need to send me.

Also, as you suggested the code I was given was to unlock logging in the dash. Logging is now enabled, but the system is still not functional with CAN bus issues.

I'll reach out to the developer tomorrow to get their take on this.

Thank-you.
Jolly Wrenchers

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:26 am

Sadly, no configuration file from the developer. Going to try loading an M1 configuration and see if I can go from there.
Jolly Wrenchers

Return to Colour displays