How to get brake log from C127

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

How to get brake log from C127

Postby Agnes on Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:53 pm

Hello forum, I a new user, using C127 logger and M130 ECU.
I want to add brake related information (brake state, pressure, etc)into my log.
1)
Is it possible to do the log setting from C127 dash manager software?
I guess it is in Functions> logging, but not sure about it since I can't find brake related channel there.

2)
besides the setting, is there anything else to confirm for getting the brake log? I am not sure whether the vehicle has brake sensor or not.
thank you in advance.
Agnes

Re: How to get brake log from C127

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:02 pm

Hi,

The C127 can only log a channel if it exists in the Dash, so there needs to be an input of some sort, such as CAN from another device or a sensor wired into the Dash for the channel to be usable in the logging or Display.

To configure the logging on the C127, you use the C127 Dash Manager.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Agnes on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:29 pm

Hi Dean, thank you for the reply.
I will check whether the log in Dash or not.
I am sorry for asking such easy question, bout logging configuration,(what to log, what not to log),
what is the difference between using dash manager and using ECU manager?
seems both of them has the setting, either of them is ok? or there is some kind of order, such as configure it in ECU manager first, then dash manager.
thank you
Agnes

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:47 pm

With the M130, unless you have added Level 2 or Level 3 logging to the M1, you will have a fixed Diagnostic logging set available to you from the M1, this means that you are not able to make any changes to the logging in the M1.

If you have enabled the higher levels of logging in the M1, then I would concentrate the M1 logging on the engine variables, and the Dash logging on the vehicle channels, with some over laying of common channels such as Engine Speed and Throttle Position so that the data can be lined up during later analysis.

If you have the CAN Receive templated for the M1 correctly configured in the C125, then you will have a lot of data available from the M1 that can be logged in the dash.

When it comes to the choice of channels to be logged, and the rate that they are logged, there are a number of factors to be taken into account.

If the vehicle is only being used for short events (Drag Racing, Time Attack, sprint races) then you can afford to bump up the logging rates (within the sample rate of the sensors, there is no value in logging coolant temperature faster than 1hz for example, as the fluid will not change temperature that quickly) and number of channels logged, as you will be able to pit the vehicle and download the logging before the logging memory is filled.

If you are doing longer events (rally, endurance racing) then you may not have a chance to regularly download the data off of the logger, in this situation, you need to make a choice of having a higher logging rate/number of channels against the potential of the earlier data being overwritten and thus lost before you have a chance of retrieving it.

The other option, if you need more logging than is available on the Dash, is to enable the USB logging option on the Dash, this allows for the use of a higher capacity (upto 32Gb) external USB stick to log to (it logs the same data set that is configured for the internal logging), this will give potentially multiple days of high logging rates and/or channels.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Agnes on Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:36 pm

I really appreciate detail information.
The vehicle is only being used for short events, circuit and Time Attack.
I do not have enough knowledge about it yet so the configuration is totally done by someone else.
I only retrieved the log (from dash manager) and did analysis.
I noticed there is no brake related log that's why I posted here.
I thought I can get the brake log easily by doing configuration in the dash manager as below:
1)navigate to functions > logging
2) click "add", choose brake related channels(brake pressure, brake status, etc)
but seems it won't that easy as I thought... I will do more study about it, thank you.
Agnes

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:44 am

That is the correct way to add channels into the logging, however, they still need to be generated first to be able to be logged.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Agnes on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:16 pm

got it, thank you very much
Agnes

Return to Colour displays