C127 Odometer, Trip Meter and Control Buttons

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

C127 Odometer, Trip Meter and Control Buttons

Postby HKS_TRD on Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:18 am

Does the C127 have an odometer and a trip meter/s?
How many buttons do I need to use on my CAN bus keupad to control all functions on the C127 if I want to include being able to reset a trip meter.
In the process of finalising the IO allocations for an M800/C127/PDM30/8 Button keypad combo for a street car and this will determine how many factory switches I need to retain for anciliary functions such as foglights
HKS_TRD

Re: C127 Odometer, Trip Meter and Control Buttons

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Your answer is "it depends". I can control a C127 with a single button, or with 6 buttons. It's best to configure your dash, then figure out what you need. Will you be using lap timing? Fuel Level calculations? Timers? Multiple Pages?

Things you might want to control on the C127 with switches / buttons.
- Reset (Alarm Reset (aka Alarm Acknowledge), Reference Lap Reset, Lap Count Reset, Trip Odo Reset, Fuel Used Reset and more possible).
- Display Mode (if not using Display Creator).
- Display Next Line (and it's companion, Display Prev Line).
-- If using display creator, you will want either "Page Up / Page Down", or Page Reset, and Next Page.

Here's how you overload a single button to do the minimum: You can use just Display Next Line, and make holding that cause the Display Mode to change, then you can make Alarm Acknowledge be active anytime the Display Next Line is true. -- that's how you do it with a single button.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby HKS_TRD on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks for the info that gives me some ideas on whats possible
In my haste to make my original post I forgot to mention that this is just for a street car so won't need lap timing, I was planning on connecting the factory fuel level sender to an AT input on the M800 and sending it to the C127 via CAN along with the other data.
I'm not using display creator but I will be using multiple pages and setting up some alarms, from what I can see two buttons should suffice but I wasn't sure about how the trip meter function works.
I also want to try and keep the operation as intuitive as possible without chewing up all the buttons on the keypad
HKS_TRD

Postby HKS_TRD on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:14 am

Has anyone got any more info on the trip meter function such as how to access and reset it
HKS_TRD

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:33 am

Hi,

You enable the Trip Meter function through the Calculations | Speed and Distance... menu structure. You need to have at least one vehicle speed input configured and then click on the Trip Distance tab. Tick the Generate Trip Distance box on to enable the function. In the same tab you can setup up to three reset conditions for the Trip Distance, this can be a button pressed for 5 seconds or Engine Speed 0 for 30 seconds.

You can also reset the Trip Distance through the Online | View | Running Totals menu option.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby HKS_TRD on Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:38 am

Thanks Stephen
Once its configured whats the best way to access it in general use using dash control buttons assigned to a CAN jeypad. Is a dedicated button necessary.
I was planning on having one button for next line and display mode based on if you press or hold it and a second bitton gor alarm reset and no function allocated for if its held yet
HKS_TRD

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Hi,

The best way to reset the trip distance is the one that works the best for you. I have a single button on my keypad that I have configured to reset different functions dependent on the length of time that the button is pressed and if other conditions are met, this is fine for me but others don't like it.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Return to Colour displays