GPS Laptime Multiple Layouts

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

GPS Laptime Multiple Layouts

Postby Nickwinsor on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Hello, I've just bought a new C125 with logging, really excited to use it this year. I have a question in regards to lap timing. I've found that there were already Australian tracks available to select which is great, however I wanted to know how different layouts are handled. For example, Queensland Raceway. I generated 2 additional venues which are a direct copy of the standard Queensland Raceway venue, but with difference circuit lengths. I named these Queensland Raceway Sprint and Queensland Raceway Clubman, respectively. The GPS coordinates I simply copied from the full track as they have the same start finish line. I figure track length needs to be accurate for Gain/Loss / Laptime prediction, so I need to tell the dash which layout I'm on?

As I haven't gone to the track yet, I just wanted to know how I select which track I'm using. I do Time Attack racing, we will do one layout for the first half of the day, then switch to the second layout. Will I need to do a download at half time in order to save the logs to the relevant track then switch over to the other track?

Thanks,
Nick
Nickwinsor

Re: GPS Laptime Multiple Layouts

Postby David Ferguson on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:58 am

When you download, you will need to select the correct configuration. We have a local track with 6 or 7 normally used configurations, which we run both clockwise and counterclockwise. I thnk you should download before changing track configurations, but if you can't then you could possibly split the logged data file, and change the details for each new file.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby adrian on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:19 am

There are a couple of things to consider when you have multiple different tracks at the same location.

The first is getting the Venue right for the data. i2 uses the Venue name to select the correct track map, if you have a single log file with data from multiple track layouts then i2 will only select the track map for the Venue you put in when you pulled the logging. You can split the data later and change the details to fix this or you can download the data each time you change track configuration.

The other thing is if you are using missed beacon correction. This function uses the track length to determine whether a beacon has been missed and then puts in a lap automatically. If you have multiple Venues set in Dash Manager with the same S/F line but different lengths it doesn't know which track you are actually using and could trigger the missed beacon correction by mistake. The only way to fix this is only having 1 Venue loaded with a particular set of S/F line coordinates at a time.

One other note: The Lap Gain/Loss calculation doesn't use the track length in the Venue file, it either uses a Reference Lap that you export from i2 or it calculates it on the fly and updates every lap (depends on your settings in the lap gain/loss configuration).
adrian
MoTeC

Postby Nickwinsor on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:14 am

Thank you for the reply - I understand regarding the gain loss now - I watched one of the webinars which explained it very well. I had a play around with it last night and with it being such a simple process, I think the best way is to load the different track config when we run on a different layout download the data at the same time.

Just quickly on a somewhat seperate note, I loaded the config last night and scrolled through the different pages. My lap number for some reason said 18 - I haven't actually driven the car with this dash installed so wondering why it would say that? I used one of the templates to set it up and simply changed the communication settings to suit my ECU.

Thanks,
Nick
Nickwinsor

Postby adrian on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:05 pm

There are two options to reset it. Either in the Lap Time and Number setup where you can set a condition to reset the lap counter. Or you can go to Online>View>Running Totals (when connected to the dash) and reset it there.
adrian
MoTeC

Return to Colour displays