Lap times - what is typical or most useful?

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

Lap times - what is typical or most useful?

Postby FoxSTI on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:19 pm

Sorry I did not know where to post this.
While configuring my display, I currently have it set to display the Previous lap time and the Running Lap time.
Would it be most helpful to display Fastest Lap time and Running Lap instead?

In addition, by generating a new channel with a toggle switch, is it possible to start and stop the recognition of a GPS beacon for lap timing? Think of it as "arming / disarming" the lap timer, or conditions that lead to the start of logging.
FoxSTI

Re: Lap times - what is typical or most useful?

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi,

The Lap time displayed depends on the drivers preferences and the situation, I have on my Dash Fastest time and Running Lap for my Qualifying page, and Last Lap and Running Lap in my Race page.

What are you aiming to do by stop/starting the GPS? You can change the conditions used to stop and start the logging easily through Functions | Logging | Start/Stop Conditions

At the bottom of the screen there is a Subcribe Topic link, just click on this to subscribe.
Subscribe.PNG
Subscribe.PNG (2.71 KiB) Viewed 20769 times
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby FoxSTI on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:31 am

thank you.
What is your thought or reason for doing previous lap and current while racing?
What makes more sense to have on a open track day session?

I don't have logging enabled yet but I did find the setting you mentioned.
Thanks
FoxSTI

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:25 am

Just a preference, fastest lap time in the session doesn't really matter in the race, it's your position versus your competitors that does. It also means that I can look at what I did the previous lap, and see if I have lost/gained any time versus the previous lap, where as if it was only the fastest lap shown, I do not have the reference to go back on.

For an open track session, I treat it as a qualifying session, so I have the Fastest Lap as my comparison time.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby FoxSTI on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:05 pm

thank you for the insight ! I appreciate it.
FoxSTI

Postby the_bluester on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:23 pm

I typically do sprints, so in my case the config is planned to show the running lap time, over ridden by the last lap time for about ten seconds so you can get through the first corner and have a look a the time you just did (On my most used track the start/finish line is in the braking zone for the first corner) added to that would be fastest lap for the session and the predicted lap time (Not sure if I will set that up as predicted lap time or predicted gain/loss yet)
the_bluester

Postby FoxSTI on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:25 pm

I like that. How do you that override? Is it a switch in display manger?
FoxSTI

Postby the_bluester on Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:29 am

In the main display area (Not the scrollable pages at the bottom) you can select three display data items in each display line.

The top one in each is the main one, so for instance in display line 6 make the top line "Running lap time" for instance, and then in the slot below it in line 6, put in "Lap time" selecting "When channel updates" and an appropriate amount of time to display it. That will give you your lap time completed for X seconds after you complete it and then it will return to the running time. Assuming of course you don't turn in two identical lap times one after the other, I am not sure if that counts as an "Update" or not.
the_bluester

Postby FoxSTI on Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Thanks !
FoxSTI

Return to Colour displays