Using speed inputs for other purposes

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

Using speed inputs for other purposes

Postby MalcolmG on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:03 pm

I couldn't find this documented anywhere, so thought I'd check: when using speed inputs for other purposes (e.g. the AV SPD channels, or assigning a non-speed channel to them), what state is the built-in pull-up resistor in?

I'm hoping I might be able to use one for a switch input and I would need the pull-up enabled. If I assign the actual speed input (e.g. SPD1) to an unused speed channel and set that into Hall mode, can I then use the associated voltage channel (e.g. AV SPD1) for a switch channel?
MalcolmG
Pro User

Re: Using speed inputs for other purposes

Postby adrian on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:27 am

If you are using the current release of Dash Manager the help shows you how to set them up. You can turn the pull-up on or off by setting either Hall or Mag as the sensor type.

A couple of things to note, the AVSPD pins are designed as diagnostics for the SPD input channels but can be used as stand alone AV inputs. This just means you have to allocate a channel to the actual SPD input and give it a calibration (can be anything) to make it work.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby MalcolmG on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks Adrian! So it was in the help file all along. I have to admit, in the past I have found the help to be not that helpful which has probably made me a bit dismissive of it, but in this case it is actually quite detailed.
MalcolmG
Pro User

Postby adrian on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:54 am

I know what you mean. It just so happens I wrote that bit of help, so I knew it wouldn't be too bad :D .
adrian
MoTeC

Return to Colour displays