C185: Ethernet Connection not working

D153, D175, C125, C127, C185 and C187 forum

C185: Ethernet Connection not working

Postby twebb002 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:47 pm

I cannot connect my Sager/Clevo P775DM3 laptop running Windows 10 to my C185 display via Ethernet and successfully communicate with the C185 via Dash Manager 6.0 (or any other version). I have spoken to MoTeC Support at length, and we have tried the obvious measures, such different Ethernet cord, turning off firewall/virus protection, deleting/re-adding Unit, updating Ethernet drivers, etc.

Initially, Dash Manager software will recognize the unit serial number in Connected Devices, but once I attempt to send/grab configuration or verify S/N through Misc option under Online drop-down menu, I get a system error telling me that the Dash Manager cannot connect to unit via Ethernet. I have verified, using another computer, that the unit is properly functioning and the unit firmware and Dash Manager software are up to date.

At this point, I will try anything, but it seems as though my computer is just not willing to play nicely. Any suggestions?
twebb002

Re: C185: Ethernet Connection not working

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:31 pm

I would try using an external Ethernet controller, just to see if that helps. I don't have experience with one to recommend, but I see that, Dell and Amazon both have very inexpensive ones you could try.

My first thought was firewall/virus protection software, but you indicate that you tried disabling that.

Another thought would be to check the driver properties and see if you could force 10 Mb/s operation, instead of the usual auto-speed. Also look for power management features that might disable the Ethernet. Try with the laptop connected to power, and/or set power management to maximum performance.

If this is a new installation, I would absolutely make sure the Ethernet is wired correctly, some host ports can swap polarity, and tx/rx, and some cannot. That might be the difference in your two laptops.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Re: C185: Ethernet Connection not working

Postby adrian on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 am

Can you please screen shot the error message you get and post it here.

If you open MoTeC Discovery (go to the system tray, click the up arrow and double click the icon with a small black box and magnifying glass) does the Dash come up in the list of devices?
adrian
MoTeC

Return to Colour displays