How can I crate track outline to see my driving line?

Support for use of i2 Pro with Gran Turismo 6

How can I crate track outline to see my driving line?

Postby elevenfive on Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:46 pm

This is my first time using motec software so please bear with me :D

Is it possible to create track outlines in GT6 for tracks that have no GPS data.

I would like an way to see my drive line from lap to lap to compare,something like the attached image, I got somewhat close by driving Laguna Seca, (because that track contains GPS data) then exporting the data to google maps, it showed the driving line but it didn't show the braking and acceleration points and I could only see one lap.

Is there a way to get a view similar to the attached image, even if it's only available on certain tracks, I would really like to see what my lines, are like from an overhead view like that.
Attachments
late-apex-racing-line.gif
late-apex-racing-line.gif (10.02 KiB) Viewed 170577 times
elevenfive

Re: How can I crate track outline to see my driving line?

Postby DarrenR on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:43 pm

i2 can only generate track driven line using GPS data, so for tracks without this information you're out of luck, however you can still analyse cornering in other ways like minimum speeds and lateral acceleration.

I have to make some assumptions about how GT6 GPS data converts to Motec log files as I haven't yet looked at this in the game, but hopefully this information will help.

For tracks with GPS data, you can plot the inner and outer lines of the track, but first you need the data. We can get this in GT6 the same way we do it in real life, by slowly and carefully driving all the way around the inside of the track for one full lap, then the outside of the track for one full lap and retrieving the data.

Load this file into i2 and when you view the GPS track map you should be able to see the track outline defined in particular laps, say lap 2 is the inside line and lap 4 is the outside line.
You can then go to the Track Editor and Generate Track. Select GPS as the Method and the Lap number for the inside line. Select the Type as 'Inner Line' and select OK.
You can then repeat this for the Outside line, selecting the appropriate lap number, and if you wish you can also choose your fastest or favourite race lap from another log file as the Drive Line.

Next, in the GPS Track map properties under 'Display', select the lines you wish to show under the Track Map options, inner, outer and Driven.
Once you have completed this, any log file you load with the same Venue name will have grey lines showing the inner, outer and driven lines, and also your current loaded data GPS lines in colour.

Cheers,
Darren.
Darren Reynolds
MoTeC Research Centre - Melbourne, Australia.
DarrenR
MoTeC

Postby elevenfive on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks for the info Darren,I will give that a try!
elevenfive

Postby FoxSTI on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:14 am

This is all very useful information folks.
What is the accuracy of the GPS XYZ and speed?

Lastly what is Grand Turismo 6 ? I associate that with the playstation game... :?:
FoxSTI

Postby DarrenR on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:22 pm

FoxSTI wrote:This is all very useful information folks.
What is the accuracy of the GPS XYZ and speed?

Lastly what is Grand Turismo 6 ? I associate that with the playstation game... :?:

The accuracy is as good as you're data input into i2. We use Degrees decimal format to 7 decimal places, 145.1234567deg for example, which has an accuracy of roughly 1cm depending on where you are in the world.

And yes GT6 is the Playstation 3 game. You can export .ld files from the game onto a USB stick and analyse your game data in i2 Pro.
Darren Reynolds
MoTeC Research Centre - Melbourne, Australia.
DarrenR
MoTeC

Return to Gran Turismo 6