Having Multiple Signals in one CAN BUS message

Support forum for users of the M1 Build

Having Multiple Signals in one CAN BUS message

Postby Prince on Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:11 am

Hello, I'm creating a DBC file which will send out several channel values of MoTeC via CAN BUS. The thing I was about to do was to create a message for each signal. But as I looked through the examples, I've realized that irrelevant signals were sent under one message. This is also the case in Motec's "Custom Can Messaging with a DBC file" presentation.

What is the advantage of this method? Does it save bandwith? Should I fit as many signal as possible into one message without exceeding 64 bit CAN BUS limit? What is the difference between this method and multiplexing?

Thank you.
Prince

Re: Having Multiple Signals in one CAN BUS message

Postby David Ferguson on Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:44 am

Absolutely, the greatest efficiency (best use of bus bandwidth) comes from packing as much information into each message as possible.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:48 am

Multiplexing allows for more data to be sent using the same CAN Addresses (useful if you are limited in the range of addresses that you can use) but at a slower update rate compared to individually addressed packets for each data set.

For example, the PDM Output Current messages are sent as a multiplexed message, this frees up CAN addresses but as there are 5 separate multiplexed message groups in the message, the data is only updated for each channel every fifth message.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Prince on Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:14 am

Thank you, I will utilize a message as much as possible to not have trouble in the future. I've understood that multiplexing comes into play when even utilizing CAN messages is not enough, then different signals are sent with the same message address sequentially.
Prince

Return to M1 Build