Implementing Target Difference checks in M1 ecu

Support forum for users of the M1 Build

Implementing Target Difference checks in M1 ecu

Postby Jared_KnightsRacing on Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:00 am

Hello all,

I am a part of my universities Formula student team and we will be implementing an M150 ecu for this year's car. Per the rules, we have to implement logic that will satisfy 2 criteria. The first is that if the throttle body position differs from the requested throttle by >10% for more than 1 second, the car must kill power to the throttle body, then if values remain in disagreement, fuel and ignition must be cut. Throttle power may then return once throttle position has remained at idle for >1s. The second piece of logic is widely the same, with the exception that throttle power shut down is initiated when brake pressure and throttle are both above a permitted value for >1s. We traditionally have covered this logic via a pcb but thought it would be nice to simplify the harness by eliminating this pcb if possible.

Has anyone implemented similar logic before? If not, is there any reason we shouldn't be able to?
Jared_KnightsRacing

Re: Implementing Target Difference checks in M1 ecu

Postby rntechnologies on Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:23 am

This is straight forward if you use a DBW power relay triggered by your function.
There is no reason this couldn't be implemented.
Regards,
Ryan
rntechnologies
Pro User

Re: Implementing Target Difference checks in M1 ecu

Postby MalcolmG on Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:50 am

I have implemented similar logic to your second requirement - this is required to meet FiA F3 regulations I believe. The first isn't actually too far away from what you can do with the normal Motec GP throttle servo fault behaviour, where an Aim tracking fault shuts off the servo and an engine speed limit can be activated, although the recovery after returning to idle may not meet the exact details of the rule.

Do you already have a Motec GP build project? The latest projects have all the code in the Throttle group locked, so this will prevent you from being able to directly alter the behaviour of the servo, instead it will need to be a separate system within the project which intervenes using an inline relay as Ryan suggests.
MalcolmG
Pro User

Return to M1 Build