M1 Tune Ignition State Disabled

Support forum for users of the M1 Tune

M1 Tune Ignition State Disabled

Postby wparma on Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:13 pm

Hello,
My FSAE team is using a M150 GPRP-pro package on an 06 Yamaha R6 with stock injectors and coils . We are having issues trying to start and even just trying to use the timing light to verify our reference offset is correct. We get cycle lock when cranking but the coils don't seem to be firing. We are using a Bosch coil driver and we have verified all of our wiring is correct and that we have 12V at the injectors and coils. We appear to be getting voltages for the ignition cylinder voltages but we don't get spark which we verified by physically taking out the coil with a spark plug and grounding it. When we run the timing test with the timing light we have not been getting any flashes from it. It states that ignition state is disabled even when we are cranking with check timing, when the help menu says that it should say check timing state. I don't get how we can see ignition cylinder voltages but have ignition state disabled. I have seen others have issues with the engine run switch as we do not have one as well, but I set the switch to be defaulted to on. What can we do to resolve this and get to running?
Attachments
Ignition Configuration in Check Timing Mode.png
Ignition Configuration in Check Timing Mode.png (578.88 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
Igniton State Disabled.png
Igniton State Disabled.png (374.05 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
RefSync Diagnostics.png
RefSync Diagnostics.png (294.91 KiB) Viewed 1516 times
wparma

Re: M1 Tune Ignition State Disabled

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 pm

Hi,

What are the errors that are being reported with the Ignition outputs and the Engine Speed Pin Diagnostic? Do you have any logging that can be shared?
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby wparma on Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:02 pm

Quick update to my post. I got the ignition state to be enabled now by setting my engine run switch to not in use instead of default, I also switched my configuration for ignition driver to be set to falling edge. I now get ignition state enabled when cranking but am still not getting spark. I am using a Bosch coil driver (0 227 100 211) and I've followed continuity with all my wiring to the coils and I get 12V at the coils. I am monitoring the output pin voltages when cranking and I see that they are around 3 volts. Looking at the datasheet, which I will attach to this post, it seems that the input voltage has to be greater than 6 volts which I was comparing to the motec ign 4 module that takes input voltage of 1 to 2.4V. I am wondering if this coil driver is supported by the M150 or if there is any other configuration setup I can do. Thank you for your time.
Attachments
Data Sheet_68579851_Ignition_Module_IM_4.pdf
(533.29 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
GPRP Pro (M150) [01.06.0785, July 2022] SCR24 , USC MOTEC M150 GPRP PRO updated no spark.m1pkg-archive
(2.28 MiB) Downloaded 97 times
S1_#28374_20240417_141230_02.ld
(215.5 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
wparma

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:21 pm

What is the part number of the coils?

You can only properly diagnose a ignition coil output using a oscilloscope and current clamp. a multi meter will not react fast enough.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby wparma on Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 pm

Hello,
I am using F6T549 coils that came with the engine. I was looking at the output pin voltages through the M150 in a time graph that I made.
wparma

Postby NathanB on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 pm

Have you tried setting the engine run switch from 'not in use' to default, saving the config (whilst connected to the ECU) and saving (this will trigger a reset)

Then give it a crank momentarily and see if the the ignition state stays disabled when cranking.
NathanB
MoTeC

Postby wparma on Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 am

I resolved the ignition state issue. It is disabled when it is set to default and enabled when set to not in use. However, I am still having issues with getting the coil driver to work and seeing spark.We have the exact same setup on last year's car and it still works fine with a different ecu. We directly copied over our injectors/coils harness and wired up the ecu connector side to the motec lowside pins.
wparma

Postby David Ferguson on Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 am

If using the Bosch IGN module, then make sure the Ignition Driver Firing Edge is set to Falling Edge.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby wparma on Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:41 am

We have it set to falling edge in the ignition configuration page. Are there any diagnosis methods you can recommend or alternative configurations in the ignition setup page?
wparma

Postby David Ferguson on Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:02 am

First, you should be able to cause the coils to fire (this is to verify your wiring, ignitor, charge time, etc), using Engine Output Test (select Ignition), Engine Output Cylinder, and Engine Output Test Engine Speed (try 1000 rpm). If this is not happening, connect an oscilloscope across the coil to measure the voltage, If there is no voltage differential, then it could be wiring or configuration issues.

Make sure to set Engine Output Test back to Disabled before saving a package.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Return to M1 Tune