VVT setup

Support forum for users of the M1 Tune

VVT setup

Postby picasso on Fri May 19, 2023 9:38 am

In the HPA webinar Tuning Dual VVT they showed a setup that ramped the cam through the travel range with an increase of 1 deg/s on a steady state dyno run.
Is this a function available in M1 Tune?
picasso

Re: VVT setup

Postby David Ferguson on Fri May 19, 2023 3:44 pm

I think if you go back and look at that, you will see that Andre just changes the cam timing manually at a rate of about 1 deg / sec. You can do the same thing in M1, by selecting the cell(s) you want to change, and using keyboard short cuts - Page Up/Down changes by .5 deg, Shift-Page Up/Down by .1 deg, and Control-Page Up/Down by 1 degree. Start with a low value, and just press Control-Page Up once per second or so.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby picasso on Fri May 19, 2023 8:12 pm

Thanks for your explanation David.
I didn't get it was done manually. :-)

In the same webinar it was shown that the cam position was sent to the dyno. I read a post from you a while back that you had a CAN interface on your Dynapack. I assume that work in the same way as shown in the webinar?

I'm also considering upgrading my Dynapack with a CAN interface, but haven't been in contact with Dynapack yet so I don't know what they charge for it.
What's your experience with the CAN interface, is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks Rolf
picasso

Postby David Ferguson on Sat May 20, 2023 3:10 am

I do have the CAN interface on my Dynapack, and I find it useful. There are some bugs - still can't get it to read the standard MoTec\C Ignition timing (which is in deg ATDC, so negative numbers for advance), their decode doesn't handle twos complement). I just re-send that from the dash, or if using firmware with my Dynapack interface it does that from the M1.

Anyway, you can get the Dynapack to transmit the current torque value, the M1 can read this (as "Autotune Torque with my Dynapack interface, or I just put it in some other channel like "Transmission Pressure" or something else I don't use, if I'm tuning a GP package.

Then you create a worksheet with a scatter plot, and the channels you want to monitor / modify. Now you can hold the engine in a single cell, and change the Ignition timing, or inlet cam aim. Here is a worksheet showing that:
Attachments
CAM tuning with Torque feedback.JPG
CAM tuning with Torque feedback.JPG (252.91 KiB) Viewed 14836 times
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby picasso on Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:06 am

Thanks David for this information. I've now acquired a Dynapack CAN module, but I struggle a little to set it up so I would appreciate some advice.
As an example I'd like to set up the Dynapack to read the TPS position from the M1. The TPS is configured as shown in this first picture.
Then I'd like to get an advice on how to set this up in the Dynapack CAN configuration display, shown in the next picture.
Attachments
Dynapack_CAN_configuration.jpg
Dynapack_CAN_configuration.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 13365 times
TPS.jpg
TPS.jpg (72.64 KiB) Viewed 13365 times
picasso

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:07 am

The first problem on the Dynapack CAN setup, is the message length os 0x640 is 8 bytes, not just 1 byte. The TPS data is found at offset 6 and is two bytes (16 bits) long (so rows G & H on the Dynapack data grid).

To give you a good starting point, here is a Dynapack CAN Configuration you can just Load. This is based on using the DBC import facility with the M1 DBC file (I will attach the one I used as well -- newer version probably available search this forum). This also has the CAN output configured as I explained above.

Dyna Pack M1 Configurations.zip
Dynapack CAN Configuration
(14.59 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

Hopefully this will get you started.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby picasso on Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:22 am

Thanks again David for pointing me in the right direction.
It helped realizing that the cells in the Dynapack config represented bits and not bytes. :-)

Then I received the M1 data with the exception of ignition timing and intake cam advance, which I believe is due to the bug you mentioned related to the decode doesn't handle twos compliment.

Then there are two outstanding issues, one is handling of the data for the ignition and cam position. You mentioned resending them from the dash. I'd appreciate an advice on how to to that.

The other is sending data from Dynapack to the M1. I loaded the .ccf file you attached, but non of the output channels seems to have any configuration when I open them.
I've configured the Transmission pressure to CAN 2 Offset 2 which is available, but from there I can't find any info on how to set it up further.

Any help is appreciated.
picasso

Postby picasso on Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:46 am

Still struggling to get the torque measurement transmitted from the Dynapack to the M1. I have to go via the dash as the M1 can only receive CAN data from one CAN ID, and that ID is currently configured in the dash. So I have to add the torque data in addition to the existing data already configured to be transmitted from the dash to the M1.
I have the torque data available in the dash, but I can't figure out how to set up the "Transmitted Channel" configuration to be received as CAN 2 Offset 2 in the M1 ( or any of the other spare CAN channels).
See attached picture.
What I'd like to know is how to set up the channels in the transmit block to match the M1 CAN 0-7, Offset 0-6 channels.
If anyone can point me in the right direction to get any documentation on this I would appreciate it, as I'm not able to sort this at the moment.
Attachments
TransmitBlock.jpg
TransmitBlock.jpg (66.67 KiB) Viewed 13240 times
picasso

Postby MalcolmG on Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:23 am

Do you have the ECU Receive set up in the M1 as a Sequential or Compound type? The dash manager configuration you've screenshotted is for a compound setup, which IMO is unnecessary until you're really short on available CAN addresses. If you're not aware, compound messages effectively multiplex a single CAN address by using the first byte (typically) of the message contents as an additional identifier, with each compound identifier having different data content on the remaining message bytes.

I recommend using a sequential messaging, which just uses a sequence of 8 CAN addresses beginning from the start address (make sure the start address is a multiple of 8). To use this you just configure each message individually as Transmit Message type rather than Transmit Message Block. If you look at the built-in GPS_to_M1 transmit templates in dash manager you'll see how this is achieved
MalcolmG
Pro User

Postby picasso on Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:24 am

MalcolmG wrote:Do you have the ECU Receive set up in the M1 as a Sequential or Compound type? The dash manager configuration you've screenshotted is for a compound setup, which IMO is unnecessary until you're really short on available CAN addresses. If you're not aware, compound messages effectively multiplex a single CAN address by using the first byte (typically) of the message contents as an additional identifier, with each compound identifier having different data content on the remaining message bytes.

I recommend using a sequential messaging, which just uses a sequence of 8 CAN addresses beginning from the start address (make sure the start address is a multiple of 8). To use this you just configure each message individually as Transmit Message type rather than Transmit Message Block. If you look at the built-in GPS_to_M1 transmit templates in dash manager you'll see how this is achieved

The ECU Receive was set up as Compound type. I just wanted to add the torque measurement data from the Dynapack to this existing Compound message. Tried to link the "Tansmission Pressure" channel to the torque data, but did not receive anything. Was about to discard the compound setup and instead use sequential messaging, but the came across the document TNAU0031, ADL Advanced Communications Setup which also covered the configuration of Compound Messaging, which confirmed that I had added the torque data correctly to the existing Compound message.
As a last attempt before going for sequential messaging I tried to link other channels than the "Transmission Pressure" to receive the torque data. Tried a few other channels without success, but when I selected "Intercooler Temperature" the torque data was received.
I have no idea why it only worked on this channel, but at least now it is ok. :-)

So then I have solved my issues, the Ingnition and Intake Cam angle I re-send from the dash, as David wrote above.
Thanks for the help.
picasso

Return to M1 Tune