MoTec m130 Evo x help

Support forum for users of the M1 Tune

MoTec m130 Evo x help

Postby nonschlont on Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:21 pm

Hey guys,
my first post..
Purchased an m130 from JRR for my Evo X, and trying to set this up myself. I’m looking for a lil assistance as I’ve come across some issues. I’m hoping I can get some1 to take a look at my cal and see what I’m missing or have incorrect, or even just some guidance as this is my first time setting up an m130..
I re installed my stock ecu to verify the car is fine and issue is within my set up of the m130.

Mods: ID 1300s, ported stock Int manifold/ throttle body, small stock frame upgraded turbo, stock evo x 3 bar map sensor, HKS new version recirculated BOV, stock cams, walbro 450 fuel pump, 3” intake, full bolt ons.
Single e85 mapping.

Things I’m having issues with:

1. Vacuum at idle is lower than with the stock ecu.
Stock ecu vac = 19-20. MoTec = 15-16
2. Throttle isn’t as snappy as stock ecu. Assuming the cam settings need to be dialed in..
3. Getting what feels like turbo surge, only at partial throttle (at 4 – 9 psi and 4500 – 5000rpm) WOT seems fine.
4. Have not figured out how to resolve an “Inet manifold pressure sensor diagnostic = translation minimum” and also a “fuel closed loop control bank 2 diagnostic = sensor fault”
5. I feel like I have had to add more than I should need, in the 3 cranking maps “Coolant temp fuel volume compensation”, “engine crank fuel volume compensation” and “engine post start fuel volume compensation” to get the car to cold start.
6. Getting terrible gas mileage, even tho fueling isn’t too far off at cruise and partial throttle, and Idle trim is within 1%.
7. At WOT, I’ve had to take the “Fuel efficiency main” map to 165 at peak tq area, tapering to 135 out the top. Is this normal?
8. IAT seems to be reading significantly off (Higher)

Things I’ve tried to resolve issues:

1. tried bumping target idle ignition timing advance target (4*), raising idle rpm, adjusting inlet manifold pressure sensor voltage translation slightly, adding some intake cam timing at idle (10*).
2. Tried advancing the intake cam to closer to what I have in my stock ecu mapping.
3. Tried retarding the intake cam (10*) in the region of issue from the base settings. Tried retarding the ex cam (10*) from base settings in the region of issue. retarded the entire ex cam map to 0*, as well as -5*. I’ve also tried loosening the adjustment screw on the bov.
4. I’ve tried increasing the “Inet manifold pressure sensor diagnostic low voltage down to (.080) and high to (4.880). Increased the voltage translation map which made fueling at idle much richer. Not sure why I’m getting the “fuel closed loop control bank 2 diagnostic = sensor fault”..
5. Finally got the car to fire up on cold start, after a few tries. I know the car requires around 30% more fuel while cranking on e85, but feel like its taking more than necessary. And when I shut off the engine, it shutters a bit. Doesn’t do this on stock ecu..
6. I’ve advanced the ignition timing in the cruise region to 46 – 44*

not sure how to upload the cal.. :roll:

Any assistance would be much appreciated!
Thanks
nonschlont

Re: MoTec m130 Evo x help

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:22 pm

Hi,

john Reed should also be providing support for this Partner package, as it is part of the agreement with supplying Partner Packages.

1, I don't get too concerned about the manifold pressure that an engine is idling at, I'm more concerned with how it idles and the transient response into and out of idle control. You may find that the OEM ECU is closing the throttle more than the M1, (set by the Idle Control Feed Forward Table) hence the lower MAP reading at idle.

2, Tuning will assist in the response, you can also edit the Throttle Area table to change the relationship between the Throttle Pedal and Throttle Servo.

3, Again, tuning.

4, What calibration are you using for the Inlet Manifold Pressure Sensor? The Translation Minimum error that you are getting is caused by the sensor voltage going below the bottom value in the calibration. The Lambda issue is only a problem if you have a Bank 2 Lambda setup.

5, E85 can need a quite large Cranking and Post Start compensation, I have over 2000% in my car for the initial hit.

6, Make sure that the sensors are all reading correctly, what Lambda aims are you running at?

7, Yes, but I would confirm that the sensors are all reading correct values at that point to ensure that there isn't any false information that is being used.

8, If this is incorrect then the issues 6 & 7 could be related to this being out.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby nonschlont on Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:50 am

Thank you for the reply!

I see I can now upload my cal, so here it is..

I was getting severe throttle hang on lift off, so I dialed in the "Idle Control Feed Forward Table" based on what was being logged and extended the rpm axis to 2000 to help w/ hang.

I did alter (increase) the throttle mapping a bit to assist with the throttle response and helped a bit, I possibly need to get more aggressive w/ it. I tried increasing throttle mapping at idle to see if it would help with the low vacuum, and it just bumped rpm up. Currently If I blip the throttle at idle, rpms try to drop before rising.

for the Inlet Manifold Pressure Sensor, I have it set as manual, and have the voltage min significantly lower than base setting and still seeing the error.
The lambda bank 2 isn't being used, and I believe its set up as such, but still getting the error. Not too concerned about that but not sure why its even showing an error if no resource is allocated.

Seems like lambda is reading correctly. targeting lambda 1.0 at idle and .85 ish at WOT. Fuel pressure and oil pressure seem to be reading correctly (hoping I have the fail safes set up correctly)

Cam setting are base settings, since having issues with surge or some kind of oscillation.
Attachments
JRR Mitsubishi Evo 4B11 (M130) ID1300 e85 Single Current.m1pkg-archive
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 279 times
nonschlont

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:19 am

Hi,

I have made a couple of small changes to the attached file.

The Inlet Manifold Pressure sensor error that you where getting was being caused by the translation table only going to 0.6v/40kPa, when the manifold pressure dropped below this then the voltage went under 0.6V, causing the error to occur.

The Lambda Bank 2 waring has been resolved in later firmware updates, John will need to redo his Firmware to resolve it. As it is, there are no issues being caused with the warning being in place if there is only a single Lambda sensor being used.

For the throttle response off of Idle, look at your Idle Throttle Pedal Bland and Offset setup, as this is responsible for this behaviour.
Attachments
JRR Mitsubishi Evo 4B11 (M130) [01.00.0006, October 2017] Phil Allsup , ID1300 e85 Single_ e851.m1pkg-archive
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 293 times
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby nonschlont on Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:26 pm

SDean wrote:Hi,

I have made a couple of small changes to the attached file.

The Inlet Manifold Pressure sensor error that you where getting was being caused by the translation table only going to 0.6v/40kPa, when the manifold pressure dropped below this then the voltage went under 0.6V, causing the error to occur.

The Lambda Bank 2 waring has been resolved in later firmware updates, John will need to redo his Firmware to resolve it. As it is, there are no issues being caused with the warning being in place if there is only a single Lambda sensor being used.

For the throttle response off of Idle, look at your Idle Throttle Pedal Bland and Offset setup, as this is responsible for this behaviour.

Thank you, I appreciate the help!!! I will check the Idle Throttle Pedal Blend and Offset setup.
Can u take a look at my boost control and cam settings and see if anything stands out that would cause the part throttle surge?
nonschlont

Return to M1 Tune