M150 with MDC cannot receive keypad buttons

Support forum for users of the M1 Tune

M150 with MDC cannot receive keypad buttons

Postby mrd on Thu May 09, 2019 7:12 am

Hi,

I am writing this for a friend who is the engine expert and I am the computer guy ;)
I am telling you this as an excuse if some of my writing may feel clumsy to you.

The setup is: M150 - MDC - PDM15 and a 15 button keypad, all on the same CAN bus. Firmware GPRP
What we want to achieve: M150 gets signals from MDC (wheelspeeds, etc.). Some of the keypads should control actions in the PDM and some should control actions in the M150.

We have set the ECU Receive CAN ID Base to 0x1F4 to receive the messages from the MDC. ECU Receive Message Type is Compound. (Please ignore the settings in the picture attached, that was just for a test).
We have set the PDM CAN ID Base to 0x540.

With this setup we can receive messages from the MDC and also the PDM standard signals.
To forward keypad messages to the MDC we have created User defined messages in the PDM. But how can we get access to those in the MDC? In the drop down list of the available input signals there is nothing related to PDM User Defined messages. After doing some research it appears we would need a Dash to receive the PDM User Defined messages and send it to the M1. Is this really the only way? Spending another 2k just for that?
Or do we have a general problem in our setup and what we want to achieve is simply not possible?
When I read about the MDC on the Motec homepage there is no statement regarding M1 ECUs. I only see that the MDC can talk to the M800. Is the MDC and M150 compatible?

Any ideas what we can do?

Thank you,
mrd
Attachments
IMG_3152.jpg
Vehicle communication setup
IMG_3152.jpg (370.6 KiB) Viewed 8783 times
IMG_3150.jpg
Keypad
IMG_3150.jpg (556.12 KiB) Viewed 8783 times
IMG_3149.jpg
Our setup
IMG_3149.jpg (652.04 KiB) Viewed 8783 times
mrd

Re: M150 with MDC cannot receive keypad buttons

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi,

There is not support in the M1 Firmware for the MDC/SDC units, if you have a M1 Build licence you could write a receive template for the channels into your custom firmware using the information provided in the MDC Manual.

What are you trying to send through to the MDC from the PDM Keypad? The notes that I have for the mode switch into the MDC show that it is an analogue signal from the switch that essentially toggles the mode counter up with each press and then rolls over when it reaches the maximum value.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby mrd on Thu May 09, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the reply.
Obviously my concerns were right that MDC is not supported.
We are not trying to send keypad buttons to the MDC but to the M1 ECU. We can control things in the PDM obviously but we would also like to send some of the buttons directly (or indirectly via the PDM) to the ECU. All that has probably no relation to the MDC but I wanted to mention it as I thought it may cause complications.
mrd

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri May 10, 2019 9:45 am

You can transmit the PDM Keypad messages from the PDM to the M1 using the PDM CAN Outputs.

PDM Keypad transmit.PNG
PDM Keypad transmit.PNG (14.69 KiB) Viewed 8761 times

PDM Keypad receive.PNG
PDM Keypad receive.PNG (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8761 times
Attachments
M1 CAN Inputs.pdf
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 910 times
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Return to M1 Tune