M1 Tune hangs on save or send

Support forum for users of the M1 Tune

M1 Tune hangs on save or send

Postby parsonsj on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:00 am

I'm using the latest GPRP package as the base on an M150, and when I save or send my updates, Tune hangs. Or to be more precise, it rejects all user input with a tone. I've been resorting to using Windows Task Manager to kill Tune, then restart it, then make another update, then save, then kill Tune... etc. All my updates seem to be ok -- they are all there when I get Tune restarted.

I get the same behavior with the latest official release and the Beta release.

If I store a baseline package on the ECU, it works fine. If I use a package with my updates, I get this weird hang. Is there any way to narrow down what might be going on?
parsonsj

Re: M1 Tune hangs on save or send

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:28 am

Hi,

Are you able to post the Package that is causing the issue here, or email it to support @ motec.com.au so that we can test it?

If you have the messages window open at the bottom of M1 Tune, is anything reported there when this hang occurs?
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby parsonsj on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:46 am

I've just sent the package. I have two invalid items, and some errors and warnings.

The invalid items are interesting in that they are for Gear Position Sensor Tracking resource -- which I don't have. I'm not sure how to remove it -- I've listed it as Not in Use, but somehow it's detected as an error anyway.

This package is a work in progress. I've got more work to do for the injectors, spark timing, CAN bus communications, etc. I'm nowhere near ready to try and start the car.
parsonsj

Postby parsonsj on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:15 am

This is still happening, though I think I have a basic idea why. If I leave the ECU running connected to my Surface Pro with M1 Tune, eventually this condition always happens.

However, if I periodically (once an hour or so) stop the ECU, disconnect the ethernet cable, and restart Tune, then reconnect and restart the ECU, all is well. It seems as if Tune (or Windows) is running out of some resource that doesn't free until I do all three steps above.

I've got nearly all the initial tables loaded now, and am close to attempting to start. I'd like to think long evenings with everything connected will be a thing of the past, and this won't be an issue anymore.
parsonsj

Postby parsonsj on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:10 am

Latest information on this issue:

If I just use the save icon, (rather than send), Tune still hangs occasionally. But if then I hit the ESC key when that occurs, it clears whatever is wrong, and the save and send operations complete successfully. I can then carry on without having to stop and restart Tune. This seems to happen every 5 or 6 saves...
parsonsj

Postby rntechnologies on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:12 am

Can you check the logging memory on the ECU. Sometimes build projects will not load when the logging memory is full on the ECU.

Also, when you say that tune blocks all user input with an audible tone, this sounds more like there may be a modal window on your screen. do you ever use an external display on the machine you are using? sometimes modal windows can try and load outside the bounds of your current resolution / screen configuration.
Maybe the package load screen? - Can you see this popup when it happens?
Also, have you tried a different PC to establish whether the issue is on the PC end or the ECU/Package end?

The gear position sensor error that you are reporting sounds like it is just a warning.
The warning would likely be reporting that the sensor is in single sensor mode. (meaning there is no tracking resource).
To stop this warning occuring, you would need to modify the code in build to remove this warning when a resource is not assigned.
Regards,
Ryan
rntechnologies
Pro User

Postby parsonsj on Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:26 am

I've looked at logging memory and have deleted it to see if that was the problem. No change.

I think you're on to something with the 2nd screen idea. The tone is exactly what a hidden modal screen would do. I've got an ordinary Surface Pro 3 connected to a 4k monitor via the Microsoft docking station. Task Manager shows no child windows, but perhaps the modal screen comes from the parent process which causes the hang. And: it doesn't hang when I connect the SP3 directly to the ECU without the docking station and 2nd monitor.

Yes, the 2nd sensor thing for the gearbox tracking sensor seems like a minor bug -- having to enter "correct" data to a non-existent sensor seems like something that could be fixed in the firmware. But I'm way past that problem now, and it's not a problem for me anymore.

Thanks!
parsonsj

Postby parsonsj on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Yes!

I can report that the modal dialog box is definitely what's been going on. I got the condition tonight while configuring logging. Tune was hanging repeatedly when I tried to save the configuration.

I disconnected the 2nd monitor, and when I did the same thing on on the primary monitor, I got a popup window asking if I wanted to configure diagnostics.

Anybody know of a workaround? I bought this big monitor for tuning... it would be a shame if I can't use it.
parsonsj

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Normally with Windows, if there is a modal dialog for a program, you can choose that window from the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Try clicking the "M1 Tune" icon, to see if it will display more than one window to choose from the next time it apparantly hangs.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby rntechnologies on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 pm

There are a couple of things that we would need to know to assist with this one.
Firstly, when you have the secondary monitor plugged in, are you still using the laptop display at the same time?
(If you Press ⊞+P, what mode is selected?)
Regards,
Ryan
rntechnologies
Pro User

Next

Return to M1 Tune