Engine efficiency is above 100 in many regions

Support forum for users of the M1 Tune

Engine efficiency is above 100 in many regions

Postby Shivshankar on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:58 pm

Hi everyone,

Im from a Formula student team and we have just moved to M150 from M800. The team runs a Honda CBR600RR engine with a 2cm restricted intake. We run a Bosch Tmap sensor on the intake and stock denso fuel injectors with Fuel save 98(Shell). While calibrating the engine efficiency table, the values seems to be too high. I do not know what I have done wrong. I feel that the fuel injector calibration maybe wrong because I am not able to find the exact model number on the default options given by M1 for a cbr600rr bike. Could someone help me with this.

Engine charge cooling - 12 deg cel
Attachments
Fuel calibration.jpg
Fuel calibration.jpg (51.68 KiB) Viewed 25346 times
initial set up.jpg
initial set up.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 25346 times
efficiency.jpg
efficiency.jpg (153.05 KiB) Viewed 25346 times
Shivshankar

Re: Engine efficiency is above 100 in many regions

Postby David Ferguson on Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:52 am

They are just numbers -- if that's what the engine wants then it's OK. It's not unusual to see values like that at particular RPMs where the intake and exhaust resonance produce a pulse that helps stuff more air into the cylinder.

If you want to have your injectors calibrated by MoTeC and added to the M1 pull-down list then you need to arrange to send them in through your MoTeC dealer.

A way to check your injector calibration is to vary the fuel pressure and see if the Lambda output remains constant.

You can also try changing the Fuel Mixture Aim Main and seeing if it achieves the desired mixture (however there are other factors that may cause this not to be correct, including Engine Charge Cooling Gain that you mentioned).

However for calibrating a single engine, that you don't expect to be changing injectors (or if you do, you would revisit the tune), then just building the Efficiency table with what it takes to get a good result will be perfectly fine.

BTW -- telling us what the part number of the injectors you have might allow someone to provide a calibration.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Shivshankar on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply. The injectors I have in hand are.

1060 327 02
1060 621 20
1060 529 30

There are 3 similar intakes in total that we swap around, each with 1 fuel rail. In Singapore they do not have injectors readily in stock and we wait for weeks to get it delivered to us, suppliers are not able to provide the model number that we need.
Shivshankar

Postby adrian on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:17 pm

It doesn't look like we have calibration information on any of those injectors.

If you talk to your MoTeC Dealer you can arrange to send them in to us to be characterised.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby Shivshankar on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:42 pm

Thank you for the reply. I have sent the injectors for characterization.

May I find out if Motec has CBR600RR M1 package available for download? Or any other motorbikes packages?
Shivshankar

Postby AlanB on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Here is a CBR600 package that we wrote and sold from MoTeC Europe. It is quite old, and bears no resemblance to GPA/GPR firmware, but the tuning data might be useful as the CBR remained virtually unchanged through its product lifespan.
Attachments
Honda CBR600 2011 Supersport 01.19.0023 M170 Start File.m1pkg-archive
(195.01 KiB) Downloaded 1072 times
Alan Bell
MoTeC Europe Ltd
AlanB

Postby Shivshankar on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:43 pm

Thank you for the package Sir.
Shivshankar

Postby Shivshankar on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Hello everyone,

Could someone shed light on How important is injector characterization in tuning ?

With proper characterization will the ecu be able to control the fuel pulse width more accurately and make the necessary compensation well?
Shivshankar

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Hi,

With the VE system that the M1 uses, the injector characterisation is critical to the correct operation of the M1. This is the reason why we have gone to the level of calibration for the injectors that we have.

If you would like to have a set of injectors characterised, this can be organised through your local dealer. We can only do commercially available (i.e. we need to be able to read the part number and do a search for those injectors, and be able to purchase them) injectors, that are in good condition and have not been modified.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Shivshankar on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 am

Hi Sir,

I have gotten the injectors characterized.However when trying to upload the m1cfg file, it says data failed to be imported. I made a check with the excel file sent along with the m1cfg file and the values seem to match.
May I find out if its okay as long as the numbers match?
The efficiency table was re calibrated with the characterized injectors and the team had track testing over the weekend. Currently, we r using a stock cbr600rr fuel pump. It was seen that the pressure went up to 356kpa. However, before the characterization fuel pressure used to be 330kpa. May I find out if characterization of the injectors causes the pressure in the rail to change ?

I am not sure if whether would play a role in this but it has been hot throughout our testing days.
Attachments
injector.jpg
injector.jpg (356.26 KiB) Viewed 24612 times
Shivshankar

Next

Return to M1 Tune