TPS and throttle body plausability.

Support forum for users of the M1 Tune

TPS and throttle body plausability.

Postby Thunder on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:51 am

Hello, I have an m130. I want to check the plausibility between the throttle body position sensor and the tps to send a command to the PDM15 in order to disconnect power to the throttle body. How can I do this?

Thank you very much!!
Thunder

Re: TPS and throttle body plausability.

Postby greenamex2 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:29 am

When you say tps, is that not the same as throttle body position sensor? Or do you mean tps = Throttle Pedal Sensor?
Do you have a Motec dash?

The standard data transmitted from the m1 to the pdm includes Throttle Position. If you had a Motec or similar dash you get send the other sensor to the PDM as a custom stream.

Out of interest, if you are using DBW why didn't you power direct from the M130 using two outputs in "full bridge" and then use the power save facility?
Motec CDL3+M130+LTCD+MDD+PDM15+PDM16M
Nissan VQ30DE fitted to an AM Sportscars EX2 with a Hewland HP 2000
greenamex2

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:57 am

The M1 should be the only device controlling the DBW throttle, with the PDM supplying power to the M1. What are you trying to do?
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Thunder on Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:08 pm

greenamex2 wrote:When you say tps, is that not the same as throttle body position sensor? Or do you mean tps = Throttle Pedal Sensor?

Excuse the confusion. TPS=throttle pedal sensor.

Stephen Dean wrote:The M1 should be the only device controlling the DBW throttle, with the PDM supplying power to the M1. What are you trying to do?

The regulations of our competition demand "If plausibility does not occur between the values of at least two Throttle Body Position Sensors and this persists for more than 100 ms, the power to the electronic throttle must be immediately shut down. Plausibility is defined as a deviation of less than ten percentage points between the sensor."

Our throttle body has two sensors which we are tracking in the m1.
Thunder

Postby greenamex2 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:47 am

That makes more sense.

When powering the DBW directly the M1 does something like this by default. I know because it took me weeks to stop mine doing it! I suggest asking Motec to confirm the default maximum offset and error duration, it may already meet or exceed the regulation. Failing that some custom firmware might be an option.

From my interpretation of the regulation wording, there is no requirement to include the throttle pedal sensor in the check.

Thunder wrote:
greenamex2 wrote:When you say tps, is that not the same as throttle body position sensor? Or do you mean tps = Throttle Pedal Sensor?

Excuse the confusion. TPS=throttle pedal sensor.

Stephen Dean wrote:The M1 should be the only device controlling the DBW throttle, with the PDM supplying power to the M1. What are you trying to do?

The regulations of our competition demand "If plausibility does not occur between the values of at least two Throttle Body Position Sensors and this persists for more than 100 ms, the power to the electronic throttle must be immediately shut down. Plausibility is defined as a deviation of less than ten percentage points between the sensor."

Our throttle body has two sensors which we are tracking in the m1.
Motec CDL3+M130+LTCD+MDD+PDM15+PDM16M
Nissan VQ30DE fitted to an AM Sportscars EX2 with a Hewland HP 2000
greenamex2

Postby Thunder on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:13 am

These are the rules we have to meet. I've edited it to remove non relevant info.

CV1.6.3 The ETC system must be equipped with at least the following sensors:
• At least two Throttle pedal sensors(TPS).
• Two Throttle Body Position Sensors (TBPSs) to measure the throttle position.

CV1.6.5 When power is removed, the electronic throttle must immediately close at least to idle
position ±5 %. An interval of one second is allowed for the throttle to close to idle, failure
to achieve this within the required interval must result in immediate disabling of power to
ignition, fuel injectors and fuel pump. This action must remain active until the TBPS signals
indicate the throttle has returned to idle position ±5 % for at least one second.

CV1.6.6 If plausibility does not occur between the values of at least two TBPSs and this persists for
more than 100 ms, the power to the electronic throttle must be immediately shut down.
Plausibility is defined as a deviation of less than ten percentage points between the sensor.

CV1.6.9 The power to the electronic throttle must be immediately shut down, as defined in CV1.6.5,
if the throttle position differs by more than 10 % from the expected target TBPS position for
more than 500 ms.
Thunder

Postby XXY on Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:55 pm

This is Formula Student's rule?
XXY

Postby Thunder on Tue May 21, 2024 9:15 am

It is a formula student rule.
Thunder

Return to M1 Tune