M150 not allowing Engine to rev past 4000 rpm

Support forum for users of the M1 Tune

M150 not allowing Engine to rev past 4000 rpm

Postby AA009 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:58 pm

Hello,

I am running a 2006 Yamaha R6 with the GPR-P package.I calibrated most of the cranking ignition and fuel trim tables to get the engine to start with some consistency. However, no matter my throttle input the engine will not Rev past 4000 rpm.
I have double checked the engine rev limit state and it says the current limiter is coolant temp which is set at 14600 rpm. I've checked the throttle body to make sure it is being actuated properly and I can see in the data that the Map Pressure rises almost to atm when the throttle in increased. Through all of this though the rpm stays at a constant 4000 rpm. I checked the timing using the Timing test mode with a timing light on the trigger wheel and everything checks out. The measured Lambda values are remaining stable at around stoich not matter the change in MAP or Throttle input.

It seems like there is some limiter in place that I can not seem to find can anyone help with this?
AA009

Re: M150 not allowing Engine to rev past 4000 rpm

Postby David Ferguson on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:29 am

What is the Engine Speed Reference Mode? What System version are you using? As new modes are introduced, they are limited in RPM to something like 4000 RPM until they have been verified by someone submitting a Capture Inputs showing the Ref/Sync pattern. If you haven't you should updated to the latest system for your firmware, and read the release notes.

Also, since you said GPRP, Is all that setup correctly (gear ratios, gear position, etc)?

Have you got a log you could share?
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby David Ferguson on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:32 am

Another weird thought. Any chance Launch Control has been activated? I used a package that had a rolling launch enabled by defualt, and it totally fooled me when I went to WOT on the dyno and the engine just sat at 2000 RPM without accelerating (it had retarded the ignition to 0 deg!)
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby AA009 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:45 pm

David Ferguson wrote:What is the Engine Speed Reference Mode? What System version are you using? As new modes are introduced, they are limited in RPM to something like 4000 RPM until they have been verified by someone submitting a Capture Inputs showing the Ref/Sync pattern. If you haven't you should updated to the latest system for your firmware, and read the release notes.

Also, since you said GPRP, Is all that setup correctly (gear ratios, gear position, etc)?

Have you got a log you could share?

My system version is 01.04.00.0044 . How would you know if it has to verified by someone and who verifies it. Also we are running "crankshaft 2 missing 4 stoke". I'm running it on an engine dyno right now so the gear position sensor is not in use. The gear ratios are correct. I've also attached a log. All help is appreciated.
Attachments
Running at 4k.ld
(2.61 MiB) Downloaded 864 times
AA009

Postby MalcolmG on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:15 pm

I notice you get a synchronisation position diagnostic fault ("Missing") just after the engine RPM begins to rise; are you using a cam position sensor or a MAP sensor on cyl 1 inlet port for your sync? You could turn on engine sync ignore mode if you're using the map sensor method, otherwise it might pay to do a digital inputs capture with the engine at 4krpm and see what your sync signal looks like, then check whether your threshold, hysteresis and debounce settings look correct.
MalcolmG
Pro User

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi,

You have a lot of errors with the DBW system, has this been calibrated as per the notes on the Throttle Pedal and Throttle Servo worksheets?

The Engine speed doesn't change irrespective of the throttle servo movement, have you confirmed that the throttle plate moves with the Pedal?

Your Idle Aim Throttle Actuator Maximum value is quite high, this is typically around 10~15%.

The Reference Mode is not an experimental mode, so it will not be restricting the engine speed.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:46 pm

AA009 wrote:
My system version is 01.04.00.0044 . How would you know if it has to verified by someone and who verifies it. Also we are running "crankshaft 2 missing 4 stoke".

You would know by looking at the Release Notes. In version 1.04.00.0044, there were only three Modes listed as experimental:

The following Reference Modes are experimental (logged data is required):

Ford Duratec if Bank2 used (eg Ford 3.7 Cyclone)
Mazda SkyActiv G
Corvette C4 ZR1

For example, the Corvette C4 ZR1 continues to be experimental until System 01.04.00.0057

As Stephen has pointed out, this is not your problem as you are using the "Crankshaft Two Missing Four Stroke" Mode.

Looking at your data, the DBW throttle is really open in the Idle state, causing the manifold pressure to be very close to wide open. I see where you tried to vary the timing, but that didn't help it accelerate.

I think your fundamental problem (because I would expect to see it rev to the Engine Speed Limit at 96kPa MAP), is that you don't really have the Engine Speed Reference Offset correct (probably off by 30-35 degrees). You get the engine started at 35 deg Ignition timing, and if that were correct, you would find it trying to kick back against the starter.

A more reasonable cranking timing would be 4-8 degrees. Do you have a way to verify the timing with a timing light? I know this is difficult on many motorcycle engines (usually there is a cover that is removed revealing the mark, but it may spray a bit of oil when the engine is running, so sometimes this can only be done when cranking on the starter). This really is necessary unless you know the designed offset for the trigger pattern.

You would use the Initial Setup -> Ref Sync tab, then look at the Reference Offset in the upper right corner. Normally we would set the timing to 0-10 degrees so we can use a standard timing light. Set the Ignition test to "Check Timing" and the timing will be fixed at the Ignition Test Timing value. Use the timing light to verify a TDC mark on the crankshaft or camshaft.

[Just reread you initial post -- are you sure the timing mark might not be at some other angle instead of a TDC? What does the factory workshop manual for the engine say? I would say to verify that mark by dead-stopping the #1 cylinder and making sure the TDC is marked correctly.]

Good Luck!
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby gtihk on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:26 pm

Have a look at the Engine Speed Limit State and see if it tells you anything at 4000 rpm.
gtihk

Return to M1 Tune