M1 Tune (1.4) - Inlet Camshaft Position Actuator Mapping

Support forum for users of the M1 Tune

M1 Tune (1.4) - Inlet Camshaft Position Actuator Mapping

Postby 01-0041 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:07 pm

To all,

I've been trying to set up a couple different tables within M1 Tune (1.4) GPR (M150)) for an older BMW engine: S52B32 - US Market Single VANOS.

What I'd like to do is have the ability to control the position actuator with a part throttle and full throttle map - similar to the factory configuration.

Would someone be able to provide some insight or do I need to look into a development licence to configure it the way I'd like to? ...or if someone has a better idea.

Thank you!
01-0041

Re: M1 Tune (1.4) - Inlet Camshaft Position Actuator Mapping

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:20 am

The Inlet Camshaft AIM and Exhaust Camshaft Aim tables both have Inlet Manifold Pressure and Engine Speed available as axis. Won't this allow you to do what you wish, as above a certain Inlet Manifold Pressure you are certainly at full throttle?

Of course a development license would allow you to easily have different axis specified (i.e. add a Throttle Position axis), if that is really needed. And you could (with effort) make it work like the factory OEM tables.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Re: M1 Tune (1.4) - Inlet Camshaft Position Actuator Mapping

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:17 am

Hi,

As David stated, the Camshaft Aim is based on Manifold Pressure rather than Throttle Position. I would consider that MAP vs. RPM is a better determinate of Camshaft Position as you can have a more consistent aim point for the Cams compared to TPS vs. RPM.

My reasoning for this is that the reason for having adjustable cam timing is to promote cylinder filling, and the ability to do this will vary more with Manifold Pressure than with Throttle Position. You can have a 100% open throttle at a given Engine Speed, and have the manifold Pressure vary between ~20kPa and 200kPa+, so where should the Cam timing be at in this situation? As having the Cam timing too retarded or advanced can cause a loss of cylinder filling potential.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Return to M1 Tune