EMP V3 ECU - modern O/S options?

Discussion and support for discontinued MoTeC ECUs, including M8

EMP V3 ECU - modern O/S options?

Postby number 7 on Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:24 pm

I've been running a early 2 group ECU (very early '90s) for the past 25 years on my RV8 TVR. I use EMP V3 software on a Windows XP pro O/S, and the laptop this is installed on is starting to get a bit flaky. I tried to load this software onto my current Windows 10 laptop, but it can't open, presumably the two are incompatible. Is there a version of the MoTeC software which will work with my ECU and on a more modern O/S laptop?

Thanks.
number 7

Re: EMP V3 ECU - modern O/S options?

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:39 am

Hi,

Microsoft removed the supporting subsystems needed for the old EMP's (pre Mx00 series) with the release of Windows 7 (64bit) and rolled this into all Windows releases with the release of Windows 8 as this used the Windows NT Kernel, rather than the MS DOS based Kernel of Windows 7 and earlier. This means that the earlier version of the EMP's will not work on any currently supported Windows releases, and that we also do not have the ability to rewrite the code to work on these releases.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby ForzaLaVida on Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:37 am

number 7 wrote:I've been running a early 2 group ECU (very early '90s) for the past 25 years on my RV8 TVR. I use EMP V3 software on a Windows XP pro O/S, and the laptop this is installed on is starting to get a bit flaky. I tried to load this software onto my current Windows 10 laptop, but it can't open, presumably the two are incompatible. Is there a version of the MoTeC software which will work with my ECU and on a more modern O/S laptop?

Thanks.

You could use VMware workstation to run windows xp as a virtual machine. It works great!
ForzaLaVida

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:24 am

To run the program, correct, you can use VM's for this. Getting communication through to the ECU over the USB/Serial ports through a VM isn't always a straight forward process which is why the use of VM's (on any flavour of OS) are not recommended to be used, or supported by MoTeC, when communicating with hardware.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby ForzaLaVida on Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:18 am

Have a go at the latest version, not quite bare metal like my esxi server, but serial passthrough has been flawless for me over the past 5 years working with many gold box cars at the track. even the 06 lemans ford GT with a M800 has always played nice.
ForzaLaVida

Return to Old ECUs