M8 RS232 channel config for CDL3 in dash manager

Discussion and support for discontinued MoTeC ECUs, including M8

M8 RS232 channel config for CDL3 in dash manager

Postby fastech on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi,

I've just updated my old ADL to a CDL3 and trying to get all the M8 ecu channels working. In dash manager I've setup a new file with 'M8 & Telemetry' etc and tried using the two inbuilt M8 channel templates, which don't seem to have the correct channel configs.

RS232 comms are setup and working correctly. Thankfully I had the old ADL dash file to compare 'comms channel' settings in the older version of dash manager, but I had to configure basically every channel differently to make them display the correct data e.g. had to change the Offset, Length for most. Thought this was weird as there's a M8 template which I wouldn't think i'd need to adjust standard channels.

Is there any reference data for the M8 channels and what they should be in dash manager? This way I can hopefully get all my required channels working, and if I need any additional ones in the future I have the details.

Thanks in advance
David
fastech

Re: M8 RS232 channel config for CDL3 in dash manager

Postby adrian on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:20 pm

I just did a quick test here with an M8 and a Dash and it all just works fine with the default template. There should be no reason to change any of the parameters in the Dash other than to make sure the baud rate is correct.

In the ECU you should have the "Telemetry Baud Rate" set to 19201 and the "Telemetry Data Set" set to 1. Then in the Dash you select the "MoTeC M8 Set 1" and set the baud rate to 19200.

That should be all you need to do.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby fastech on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 pm

adrian wrote:I just did a quick test here with an M8 and a Dash and it all just works fine with the default template. There should be no reason to change any of the parameters in the Dash other than to make sure the baud rate is correct.

In the ECU you should have the "Telemetry Baud Rate" set to 19201 and the "Telemetry Data Set" set to 1. Then in the Dash you select the "MoTeC M8 Set 1" and set the baud rate to 19200.

That should be all you need to do.

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for looking into this so quickly, I just emailed Mark a copy of my old ADL config.

Yes, Telemetry Baud Rate is set to 19201. I don't have Telemetry Data Set as an option, but do have Radio Data Set and it's set to 0.

The ECU is running v5.46, is this possibly my issue?

Thanks
David
fastech

Postby SprinterTRD on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:07 pm

That is too old, You will need to upgrade the ECU to version 6 firmware assuming you have a M8 SUU.

If you don't you will need to get it updated by a MoTeC Dealer.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby fastech on Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 pm

SprinterTRD wrote:That is too old, You will need to upgrade the ECU to version 6 firmware assuming you have a M8 SUU.

If you don't you will need to get it updated by a MoTeC Dealer.

Thanks for the reply Sprinter. Yeah, makes sense if the channel sets changed with v6. I'll see if that's Adrian's thought also.

Thanks
Dave
fastech

Postby adrian on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Dave,

The templates that are in the dash are all designed to work with v6 so that is probably why you had to make some changes. If you have got it working on the older version then just leave it as is, if it is still causing you problems then upgrade ECU and it will just work with the default templates.

In saying that, you should really upgrade the ECU if you can anyway. It is always best to be on the latest version of software.

Adrian McGregor
MoTeC Australia
adrian
MoTeC

Postby fastech on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:43 pm

adrian wrote:Hi Dave,

The templates that are in the dash are all designed to work with v6 so that is probably why you had to make some changes. If you have got it working on the older version then just leave it as is, if it is still causing you problems then upgrade ECU and it will just work with the default templates.

In saying that, you should really upgrade the ECU if you can anyway. It is always best to be on the latest version of software.

Adrian McGregor
MoTeC Australia

Thanks Adrian for looking into it. We never bothered upgrading as everything works well, but this might be a good reason to do it.

David
fastech

Postby fastech on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi Adrian,

I took your advise and decided to update the M8 to v6. I was able to get an M4/M48 SUU which from what I can see is the only one available, and I have the old original serial cable (with the specific ECU and PC ends). I connected the SUU between the ECU and the Serial cable. The v6 software detects that it's an old version, I goto upgrade and it says i don't have an SUU... great!

Any ideas why it wouldn't see the SUU, other than that it's been in a box for 15 years unused and might be faulty.

Thanks again,
David
fastech

Postby SprinterTRD on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 am

A SUU for the M8 is different to the M4/48 one

Sounds like you will need to return it to a dealer so it can be sent to MoTeC to get it upgraded.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby fastech on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:27 am

SprinterTRD wrote:A SUU for the M8 is different to the M4/48 one

Sounds like you will need to return it to a dealer so it can be sent to MoTeC to get it upgraded.

Thanks Sprinter, appreciate the help. My mechanic did mention he thought there was an early SUU that went inline and also had a connector for the smaller plug.
fastech

Next

Return to Old ECUs