CAN 2 interrupted when plugging in C127 Dash

information about how to make an ECU (MoTeC or non MoTeC) work with a MoTeC dash or data logger

CAN 2 interrupted when plugging in C127 Dash

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:05 pm

I stumbled upon an issue that I am having trouble resolving. I had been having a hard time getting my LTCD to communicate with the M150, I have also been struggling to get the C127 to display any information from CAN 1 (or any CAN information at all). I disconnected the C127 and all of the sudden no CAN 2 issue’s and the LTCD is now sending data that I can see in M1 tune.

As soon as I plug the dash back in I lose CAN 2, and therefore the LTCD information.

I wondered about the configuration files (recently using one sent to me from the firmware developer, but the problem is not unique to these configuration files) so I removed all configuration files from the dash and plugged it back in to the M150 only to have the same thing happen again.

Am I mistaken in thinking that the C127, with no configuration files, should not be causing a CAN problem?
Jolly Wrenchers

Re: CAN 2 interrupted when plugging in C127 Dash

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:12 pm

Hi,

Are all of the devices wired to the same Bus? If so, you should have the M1 and LTC receive templates on the same CAN Bus in the C127.

It sounds like you have either a CAN Bus speed set incorrectly, or there is a message being sent that is conflicting with another on the Bus.

Are you able to post the configuration from the Dash, as well as the Package from the M1?
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:38 am

Right now all of the “Honda” data is operating on CAN 1 at 500Khz, The LTCD is operating on CAN2 at 1Mhz. Both are visible in M1 Tune. I’ll see about sending the Config files and the Firmware, have not done that yet but should be able to figure it out.

Is there something more than “configuration files” sent to the correct CAN and rate needed to get the C127 to operate on the 500Khz CAN? This is where I feel like I am missing something.

I tried getting the LTC manager software to see the LTCD and then adjust it to operate at 500Khz, but have so far been unable to ever connect to it to adjust it.
Jolly Wrenchers

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:56 am

There are a total of 3 dash config files and the package, I can only add 3 files so will post again with the last dash config file.
Attachments
M1_General_0x640_v6.dbc
(13.82 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
M1_General_0x6A0_v2.dbc
(46.15 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
C4D42BF8-A558-45CD-82A9-E133A4C6CC7B.m1pkg
Struggling to determine if this is the most recent version of the package I am working with as my file name isn't represented in this file name.
(2.84 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
Jolly Wrenchers

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:56 am

Final dash config file
Attachments
M1_General_0x650_v6.dbc
(11.17 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Jolly Wrenchers

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:44 am

Hi,

Can you please export the Package out of M1 Tune by opening the Package and going to File | Export As... This will ensure that all of the required information is supplied.

With the C127 configuration, open C127 Dash Manager, go to File | Open and in the Select Dash Configuration window, click on the required configuration to select it, and then click on the Export... button to export the complete configuration. The dbc files will not assist in resolving this issue.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:02 am

Thanks for your help on this, hopefully followed your directions correctly
Attachments
RNT Xtreme Honda Talon (M150) [01.00.0036, 1.0] Tims Talon , BL - BETA E85 CAN 1 (2) fail.m1pkg-archive
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
C127 - beta.c127v64
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
Jolly Wrenchers

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:00 pm

As this is a Partner Package, I cannot go to deeply into supporting it as I do not know what changes have been made to the Firmware by RNT.

You have the Dash setup to receive the M1 Data on CAN Bus 1, and it is set to 500k as it also appears to be receiving OEM data from the Talon as well. In the M1 you also have CAN Bus 1 set to 500K, but you do not have the ECU Transmit set to any Bus, this means that the M1 is not transmitting any M1 data out for the Dash to receive. The Honda Talon Communications CAN Bus is set to CAN BUs 1. There is no information in the Help as to whether the M1 CAN Data can be on the same bus as the Honda Talon Communications, or if it needs to be on a separate bus to avoid conflicts.

You do not have any LTC receive settings in your M1 or Dash configurations. You will need to connect the LTC into CAN Bus 2 on the M1 as this is set to 1mb which is the speed that the LTC is configured to run at by default, plugging it into Bus 1 will cause the Bus to shutdown due to excessive errors.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Jolly Wrenchers on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 am

In order to get the LTCD working and displaying in M1 I do have to connect it to CAN2 as you mentioned, at that point I seem to be stuck choosing either working on dash settings or choosing the LTCD. If I plug the dash in and power it up the LTCD CAN fails. I have been bouncing back and forth with the LTCD being implemented unsure if maybe that is impacting the dash somehow.

If I understand correctly you feel this may be impacted by the firmware? I have been assuming it was something I was configuring incorrectly so haven’t been leaning on the firmware provider for help on it.
Jolly Wrenchers

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:37 am

The settings that you have currently require that the Dash is connected to the M1 using CAN Bus 1 on the M1, and CAN Bus 1 in the C127, as these are both running at 500k. If you plug the LTCD into CAN Bus 1, it will be running at 1M which will cause the bus to crash. The LTC has to be wired into CAN Bus 2 as this is running at 1M in the M1. The M1 will also need to be configured to receive the LTC data.

The M1 will transmit the LTC data across to the C127 as part of the standard M1 Transmit messages, if it has been configured to do so.

Your Dealer, Powertune Australia, should be your first point of call for resolving this issue.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Next

Return to ECU to Dash Comms