Dash not reading

information about how to make an ECU (MoTeC or non MoTeC) work with a MoTeC dash or data logger

Dash not reading

Postby Kdog on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:38 am

Hi, I have a MLS hooked up to an LS1 with a sport dash. It has come out of another LS1 powered car, which worked perfectly. My problem is after turning engine on, the dash stays static reading 'oil pressure -48'. No revs, no temps etc. I have uploaded from dash manager, it tells me corvette master is loaded on disk. My tuner, who wired it all up in both cars is at a loss. Is there something I'm missing?
Kdog

Re: Dash not reading

Postby David Ferguson on Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:17 pm

Does your UTC communicate with the MLS ECU?

Can you confirm there is CAN traffic using your UTC and the CAN Inspector software found in the utilities download.

On your dash, monitor channels and look for CAN Comms Diags XX and report if there are non-zero values.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby SprinterTRD on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:20 pm

The MLS only has serial comms so this would need to be connected between the two units.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby Kdog on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:00 pm

David Ferguson wrote:Does your UTC communicate with the MLS ECU?

Can you confirm there is CAN traffic using your UTC and the CAN Inspector software found in the utilities download.

On your dash, monitor channels and look for CAN Comms Diags XX and report if there are non-zero values.

It runs through RS232, which I've been told is pre-CAN. ?
Kdog

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:02 pm

Yes, I'm sorry for the bad info. Good luck with your debugging.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Kdog on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:18 pm

SprinterTRD wrote:The MLS only has serial comms so this would need to be connected between the two units.

This is RS232 right? I have pin 34 going to pin 2 on the plug, then hooking onto 22 on the ecu.
Kdog

Postby SprinterTRD on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:45 am

That sounds correct MLS-22 RS232 TX to Sport-34 RS232 RX

Now you need to make sure the Sport dash is setup to receive/decode the same Telemetry data set at the correct baud rate that the MLS is transmitting on.

The MLS has 8 different data set options and 5 baud rate options.

Also note that when you are adjusting the MLS Telemetry is turned off so the sport dash wont display anything.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby Kdog on Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:02 am

SprinterTRD wrote:That sounds correct MLS-22 RS232 TX to Sport-34 RS232 RX

Now you need to make sure the Sport dash is setup to receive/decode the same Telemetry data set at the correct baud rate that the MLS is transmitting on.

The MLS has 8 different data set options and 5 baud rate options.

Also note that when you are adjusting the MLS Telemetry is turned off so the sport dash wont display anything.

Okay, how do I go about that?
Kdog

Postby SprinterTRD on Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:33 am

You will need a laptop that has a serial port and can run DOS programs so something with XP or Windows7. Windows10 will not work.

Download the MLS software from MoTeC and install it. Get the Sport dash software & install it, the version you need is displayed on the dash when it boots up.

Get a serial cable and connect the laptop to the MLS D9 connector

Run the MLS software & select "Adjust" ( this will connect you to the ECU )
GO to "General Setup" "Miscellaneous Setup 2" ( The telemetry setup is displayed here )

Then you need to connect to the dash via the USB connector and then go to "Online" "Get Configuration".
Then In the "Inputs" "Communications" menu, make sure the RS232 setup matches what is in the ECU.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby Kdog on Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:17 am

SprinterTRD wrote:You will need a laptop that has a serial port and can run DOS programs so something with XP or Windows7. Windows10 will not work.

Download the MLS software from MoTeC and install it. Get the Sport dash software & install it, the version you need is displayed on the dash when it boots up.

Get a serial cable and connect the laptop to the MLS D9 connector

Run the MLS software & select "Adjust" ( this will connect you to the ECU )
GO to "General Setup" "Miscellaneous Setup 2" ( The telemetry setup is displayed here )

Then you need to connect to the dash via the USB connector and then go to "Online" "Get Configuration".
Then In the "Inputs" "Communications" menu, make sure the RS232 setup matches what is in the ECU.

Thanks for that. My tuner reckons it shouldn't need it, as its already been set up on the other engine, and its just Communications between the dash and ecu, which shouldn't have changed. I've since found the com port on my computer isn't doing what it should. I was trying to use the wrong one, which I have sorted out, but still no luck.
Kdog

Next

Return to ECU to Dash Comms