CAN FD

information about how to make an ECU (MoTeC or non MoTeC) work with a MoTeC dash or data logger

CAN FD

Postby Slagathor on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 pm

Does Motec have plans in the future to leverage the newer, high performance CAN FD Specification? For both ECU and Data, it seems this higher performance system (up to 12 Mbit/s) would offer huge advantages.
Slagathor

Re: CAN FD

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:44 am

Hi,

We are always investigating these new communication protocols and will implement them if we believe that they provide a benefit or fill a need of our customer base.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Slagathor on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:44 am

SDean wrote:Hi,

We are always investigating these new communication protocols and will implement them if we believe that they provide a benefit or fill a need of our customer base.

I guess I understand why you may not want to answer the question.
Slagathor

Postby mtobin1 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 am

Are there any updates on a new CAN FD capable Data logger. I currently have 4 ACL units and 1 C125 logger. I work for an Automotive OEM and we are switching to the CAN FD structure in the near future. I rely on my ACL's all the time to acquire my CAN data. If Motec is in the development stages of a new datalogger that is great! Is there any current data logger units that can be purchased and upgraded in the future? i heard that I will not be able to upgrade my ACLs or C125. I am trying to get a ballpark price point so I can go to my management and get funds approved for a big Motec Purchase.

Any information you can pass on would be greatly appreciated.
mtobin1

Postby David Ferguson on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:10 am

I think the short term solution to CAN FD integration will be bridges such as these:

https://www.ixxat.com/products/products ... nt-200-420
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:06 am

Hi Mtobin,

Can you send an email through to support @ motec.com.au regarding your specific needs for the CAN FD logging thanks.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby DarkHelmet on Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:49 am

Here we are in 2023 and I'll ask the same question- Does Motec have a way to update their dash loggers to support CAN FD? I also work for an OEM and we have many dashes that will be retired soon if we cannot update to CAN FD support
DarkHelmet

Postby NathanB on Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:54 am

DarkHelmet wrote:Here we are in 2023 and I'll ask the same question- Does Motec have a way to update their dash loggers to support CAN FD? I also work for an OEM and we have many dashes that will be retired soon if we cannot update to CAN FD support

There will be little to no provision for existing hardware to be updated to CAN FD support via a hardware/software retrofit. Any CAN FD compatible loggers from MoTeC will be new hardware.

The only way to enable CAN FD interaction with the hardware at this point in time is via a CAN bridge.
NathanB
MoTeC

Return to ECU to Dash Comms