M130 ethernet adapter to usb c

Information on getting your PC to talk to your MoTeC product via RS232, CAN, USB or Ethernet.

M130 ethernet adapter to usb c

Postby Scott Crawford on Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:07 am

This is a ridiculous problem, but I need some input.

My years old Dell laptop died. I called Motec USA and asked what they recommended for laptops and ethernet adapters that would cause the least amount of grief with Motec hardware. They told me Dell or Lenovo laptops and anker adapters. I purchased a new windows 11 Dell laptop and USB C 6-1 Anker adapter (this has the mating ethernet connection).

First connection everything worked great and showed ecu on network. After that it connects and finds an ecu less than half the time unless I restart the laptop. Obviously, this is less than ideal for working in a hurry at a racetrack. I am using brand new everything including 2 different ethernet cables and Anker adapters. I tried connecting to 2 different vehicles and am now mostly testing it with a bench harness (tried 3 ecus) that is also new and just has 12v, ground and the 4 ethernet comm wires.

I know this isn't a "Motec" problem and something in the communication stream. I have turned off all the firewalls and that seems to help.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Scott
Scott Crawford

Re: M130 ethernet adapter to usb c

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:53 am

I would look for any power management settings. Windows sometimes like to do things like turn off adapters with no cable attached. You want that stuff ready-to-go. Also, make sure IPv6 is enabled for the ethernet adapter.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:54 am

Hi Scott,

When this occurs, do the other ports in the hub still work? Is MoTeC Discovery seeing the hardware? Have you done a Repair on M1 Tune?

Whilst I haven't used the Anker brand adapters, we use USB-C to ethernet adapters on our laptops here mostly without issues (usually USB-C port related when they occur). I have Dell, Microsoft and Belkin adapters that I use on a variety of devices without having your issue occur.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby quadcam on Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:12 pm

I realise this is a bit after the fact, but couldn't you have bought a laptop with an Ethernet connector? In Dell's various Vostro, Latitude and Precision laptops still have Ethernet connectors, although as you are using it for track work, I would stick with a Latitude 5000 series or Precision, both of which have optional 400 Nits screens instead of the standard 250 Nits.
quadcam

Postby Scott Crawford on Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:50 am

Several updates. If I unplug and the plug back in the ethernet adapter then the computer will recognize the ecu and stay live. If I disconnect the ethernet cable (not adapter from laptop) from the ecu for more than about a minute then reconnect, the ecu will not connect until I disconnect the laptop from the adapter and reconnect.

I talked to Motec USA today and they told me that windows will take priority from the ethernet cable network and reassign it to wifi if that is connected which it is here at my shop. I have turned off the wifi connection and that still hasn't fixed the issue.

quadcam wrote:I realise this is a bit after the fact, but couldn't you have bought a laptop with an Ethernet connector? In Dell's various Vostro, Latitude and Precision laptops still have Ethernet connectors, although as you are using it for track work, I would stick with a Latitude 5000 series or Precision, both of which have optional 400 Nits screens instead of the standard 250 Nits.

I absolutely could have, and would have if Motec USA had directed me to. I assumed (incorrectly) that by calling Motec before hand and buying exactly what they told me that I would be avoiding the exact problems I am having.

David Ferguson wrote:I would look for any power management settings. Windows sometimes like to do things like turn off adapters with no cable attached. You want that stuff ready-to-go. Also, make sure IPv6 is enabled for the ethernet adapter.

In my research online this was the most likely problem. I have turned off every port power save option I could find and that didn't make a difference. I have verified iPv6 is the address.

Stephen Dean wrote:Hi Scott,

When this occurs, do the other ports in the hub still work? Is MoTeC Discovery seeing the hardware? Have you done a Repair on M1 Tune?

Whilst I haven't used the Anker brand adapters, we use USB-C to ethernet adapters on our laptops here mostly without issues (usually USB-C port related when they occur). I have Dell, Microsoft and Belkin adapters that I use on a variety of devices without having your issue occur.

The other ports still work in the hub, I am using a wireless mouse USB and it has no problems. I have tried repair and that doesn't help. Motec discovery does not see the hardware that is the problem I am fighting.
Scott Crawford

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:22 am

Hi Scott,

Are you always using the same Ethernet cable? What Cat Number is it?

Some of the USB-C Ethernet adapters are less tolerant of errors on the Ethernet stream and it may be dropping out due to this. Unplugging for the period of time allows for the adaptor to reset and start working again.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Scott Crawford on Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:49 am

Stephen Dean wrote:Hi Scott,

Are you always using the same Ethernet cable? What Cat Number is it?

Some of the USB-C Ethernet adapters are less tolerant of errors on the Ethernet stream and it may be dropping out due to this. Unplugging for the period of time allows for the adaptor to reset and start working again.

I am using a cat 5 cable that came from Motec Usa. I have 3 and tried them all.

In my last phone call to Motec Usa I was told that it's not a Motec problem it's a windows problem and I need to call Microsoft. Take from that what you will.

The Dell laptop I bought fortunately has a USB A port so I bought 2 different USB 3.0 to ethernet adapters and both of those work perfectly connecting to Motec ecus. I tested them all day yesterday and no matter how long between connections to an ecu it would pick it right up.

My last 2 Dell laptops the ethernet to usb C adapters and hubs would work fine connecting to Motec hardware so something is different, possibly windows 11 since my older laptops use windows 10.

It seems unlikely to me that I am the only person on the planet and has had or will have this problem. It also seems unlikely that Microsoft will make it a priority to assure that Motec hardware connects correctly through usb c ports/ethernet adapters.

As time goes on I will try some different usb c to ethernet adapters and update this thread to inform the curious what works and what doesn't.

It would be helpful if Motec had a resource of computers/adapters/etc. that work don't work to help users make informed decisions.

The Anker 6-1 ethernet usb c hub connecting to a Dell inspiron 14 windows 11 laptop doesn't work.

Insignia ethernet to usb 3.0 works (Best Buy).

Ablewe 4-1 usb 3.0 hub works (Amazon).

It is beyond frustrating to call Motec (USA) and be told exactly what to buy and it not work.

A retail customer would have a harder time working this out than I did as a dealer with more resources.

Thanks for all the help.
Scott Crawford

Postby David Ferguson on Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:11 am

This $25 Belkin USB-C to Ethernet adapter has worked perfectly for me using Windows 10 Laptops.

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Certified ... r=8-3&th=1
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:16 am

Hi Scott,

Most of the laptops that we use here are Dell's running Windows 11 and using USB-C to Ethernet adapters. Both of my laptops (work and personal) use W11 and USB-C adapters (Dell , Microsoft, Volans and Belkin depending on where I am) without these issues. If people call up and ask what device they should use for a USB-C adapter, my reply is to either get the one made by the manufacturer of the Laptop that they are using, or a name brand unit.

Personally, I tend to stay away from the "all-in-one" type adapters like the Anker one for these sorts of connections. A proper dock on the desk is fine, but having that many different functions off of a single connection in the field seems pointless to me, and a potential failure point.

The issue with MoTeC supplying a list of products like this, is that they would need to be constantly tested and updated as Windows and the device manufacturers update the hardware and firmware. It may be that if we recommended a specific device, that was a Rev.A when we tested, then there is subsequently a Rev.B version released that now has a different chipset, we would have to source that version and test it as well and then hope that the Rev.B in Australia was the same as a Rev.B in the USA or Europe. This is not what MoTeC is setup to do.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Scott Crawford on Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:07 am

Thanks all for the replies. I have ordered the one David Ferguson linked and will try it and report back.
Scott Crawford

Next

Return to MoTeC PC Comms