Setting up a sensor via CAN

Information on getting your PC to talk to your MoTeC product via RS232, CAN, USB or Ethernet.

Setting up a sensor via CAN

Postby caleb on Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:03 am

Hello, I am trying to hook up a Syvecs 50 hz GPS Module to a C185. I believe that I have it wired correctly, as I have a ground and power from the sensor going to an external 12 V powersource. I then have the two CAN wires from the sensor in pins 73 and 74 (CAN 1 Low and CAN 1 High). I am lost on how to set up the communication between the sensor and the C185. Can anyone help me with this?
caleb

Re: Setting up a sensor via CAN

Postby David Ferguson on Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:15 am

Do you have documentation on what messages the Syvecs transmits? Use that to create a CAN template.

Looks like the details are in the installation manual:

http://www.syvecs.com/downloads/Syvecs_ ... Module.pdf

Hopefully you connected the 1MB CAN interface from the GPS module, and you added a 100-120 ohm terminating resistor.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby caleb on Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:42 am

I connected the 1 MB CAN interface, but am confused on where to add the terminating resistor. Where do I add this at? Do I attach it between one of the wires between the sensor and the back of the c185?
caleb

Postby stevieturbo on Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:41 am

caleb wrote:I connected the 1 MB CAN interface, but am confused on where to add the terminating resistor. Where do I add this at? Do I attach it between one of the wires between the sensor and the back of the c185?

If it is needed you add it at the end of the bus across the two CAN wires.
stevieturbo

Postby caleb on Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:30 am

Gotcha. I now see that in this diagram in the manual screenshot attached. I guess I am just confused on how the can bus is connected to the c185 then. If I wrap two wires around each other, add terminating resistors at the end, and wire sensors up to these two wires, how does it all come back to the motec c185? What am I missing/do not understand? I appreciate the help and patience.
Attachments
CAN-bus-wiring.png
CAN-bus-wiring.png (58.17 KiB) Viewed 30885 times
caleb

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:21 am

The little box marked "CAN Device" is the C185, GPS Module, LTC, M1 ECU or any other CAN device.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby caleb on Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:00 am

Okay, that makes sense thank you for the help! Do you have any tips on how to create a CAN template? I understand that I will have to use the Syvecs manual pages that talk about Bytes but am unsure on how to use them exactly within the Motec Dash Manager. I really appreciate the help
caleb

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:15 am

This is a big topic, probably best handled by paying someone to create the template for you.

But if you want to learn on your own, start with the MoTeC webinars related to CAN found here:
https://www.motec.com.au/webinars-view/ ... chive/#CAN

I think this one (What is CAN) might have what you need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SowbD_09b48
You can skip some of the hundred series ECU stuff, but there is useful dash manager info starting aroung 27:34 or so.

Here is one CAN related tech note:
https://www.motec.com.au/filedownload.p ... docid=5341
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby caleb on Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:24 am

Thank you so much! I will watch these and try to learn it.
caleb

Postby Ryan on Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:12 pm

Caleb did you have any luck setting up your gps module? I just purchased 100hz model and am in the process of trying to get it to communicate with a c127. Cheers
Ryan

Return to MoTeC PC Comms