One Ethernet connection for all devices

Information on getting your PC to talk to your MoTeC product via RS232, CAN, USB or Ethernet.

One Ethernet connection for all devices

Postby moalhassawi on Tue May 23, 2017 11:19 pm

hey guys

i tried connecting my Ethernet cable to the M150 and the C125 at the some time but it seems to not work can connect with them in the same time through the PC.

is there a way by having one Ethernet cable for all devices ? and also can i connect the PDM 30 via Ethernet?
moalhassawi

Re: One Ethernet connection for all devices

Postby greenamex2 on Wed May 24, 2017 12:43 am

i tried connecting my Ethernet cable to the M150 and the C125 at the some time but it seems to not work can connect with them in the same time through the PC.
- How are you connecting to both at the same time, do you have your PC, the M150 AND the C125 all connected to an ethernet switch?

is there a way by having one Ethernet cable for all devices ? and also can i connect the PDM 30 via Ethernet?
- There IS a way of doing this. You need to use a "USB Server". You plug the normal CAN to USB adapter into the "USB Server" that is also connected to your network and then have a client on your PC that connects to the "USB Server" and picks up the CAN to USB adapter as if it was locally attached. I just use my phone or a Raspberry Pi as the USB server... do a search on "VirtualHere". Despite this sounding a bit convoluted it works surprisingly well, you can even use it for other USB devices such as printers, USB thumb drives etc! I can do pretty much all my config and mapping on the car from comfort of my front room whilst watching TV.
Motec CDL3+M130+LTCD+MDD+PDM15+PDM16M
Nissan VQ30DE fitted to an AM Sportscars EX2 with a Hewland HP 2000
greenamex2

Postby moalhassawi on Wed May 24, 2017 5:25 pm

i have the Ethernet cable spliced to two connector and every connected goes to device
moalhassawi

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed May 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi,

Ethernet does not work in that fashion, you can have only one device per connection.

if you want to have the ability to connect simultaneously to multiple devices in the car, such as your Dash and the M150, then you need to use a network switch. I use one of these units in my car so that I can talk to multiple devices using a single connection to the laptop. It also runs on 5v @ 1A so you can power it of off a USB port in your laptop, if you make a cable to suit.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby David Ferguson on Wed May 24, 2017 11:23 pm

SDean wrote: It also runs on 5v @ 1A so you can power it of off a USB port in your laptop, if you make a cable to suit.

Be careful with this -- the USB spec nominally only allows 500mA power consumption from a device, and if you do draw 1 amp, you will likely find that it won't work in every USB port.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby stevieturbo on Thu May 25, 2017 5:11 am

A load of those switches you buy come with a mains to 12v DC adaptor.

How fussy they are about that 12v I dont know...but I'd think a 12v switch would be easy to install ?
stevieturbo

Postby greenamex2 on Thu May 25, 2017 6:27 pm

stevieturbo wrote:A load of those switches you buy come with a mains to 12v DC adaptor.

How fussy they are about that 12v I dont know...but I'd think a 12v switch would be easy to install ?

Places like Maplins, eBay etc sell lots of 12 volt regulated power supplies that plug into car 'accessory sockets' that would do the trick.
Motec CDL3+M130+LTCD+MDD+PDM15+PDM16M
Nissan VQ30DE fitted to an AM Sportscars EX2 with a Hewland HP 2000
greenamex2

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri May 26, 2017 10:02 am

David Ferguson wrote:Be careful with this -- the USB spec nominally only allows 500mA power consumption from a device, and if you do draw 1 amp, you will likely find that it won't work in every USB port.

I hooked the switch up last night, it has a small (<1s) spike to ~800mA on powerup, and then sits at ~250mA with 4 ports in use, so I don't think that I'll have an issue there.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby plohl on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi,
Bit of thread necromancy here, but anyway.
I have a network switch, same as Stephen recommended and have just added a wireless router to the switch (TL-WR802N). The first time I connect it, everything worked awesomely. Unfortunately, since then the computer can be connected to the wireless network, but it doesn't see the m1 or the dash.
Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I assume it's something to do with the IP settings. I found something a few weeks ago about an ADL connected to a network, but haven't been able to find it again.
cheers
plohl
plohl

Postby br21 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:07 am

I have C125 dash, M150 ECU, PDM32 plus Vbox in one car.
I was thinking to make some box which I install into the car and then connect this box to my laptop by wifi and do all necessary things from my laptop without need to physically connecting to the car when mechanics work on it in pitlane or box.
I think I need network switch for LAN cables from dash and ecu and usb server for USB cables from power module and camera, both those connect to wireless router, and then by wifi to my laptop. Power for all can be supplied from powerbank.
Does anyone have any experience with such package? Or maybe there are some "things" which combine network switch together with usb server so it limits the amount of stuff I need to use.
br21

Next

Return to MoTeC PC Comms