Parallels 11 Mac Os with C125

Information on getting your PC to talk to your MoTeC product via RS232, CAN, USB or Ethernet.

Parallels 11 Mac Os with C125

Postby callum91 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:23 pm

Hey Guys,

Im just resetting up my Macbook which previously had a bootcamp partition where i had all my Motec Software running.
Have recently got Parallels 11 and setup a new Windows install inside there and am having issues setting up the ethernet connection from the C125 dash in the racecar to the VM.
I have pinged the dash from the terminal on the mac side with it picking up there however it doesnt seem to be being picked up inside the Windows VM.
Im not super experienced with working with parallels or VMs so if anyone knows how to get the connection working and could walk me through it that would be great.

Thanks,
Callum
callum91

Re: Parallels 11 Mac Os with C125

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:57 pm

I successfully use Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro. I have used earlier versions of Parallels, but nothing recent.

I would look for Parallels configuration for enabling networking. Perhaps this KnowledgeBase article will help you:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/8978

If you've just installed the MoTeC software into your Windows Virtual Machine, don't forget that you have to use the C125 Dash Manager menu Tools->Connection Settings... to "Add" or "Make Active" a network-connected device. See if that, or the Tools->Connected Devices can find your C125...

Good Luck
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby David Ferguson on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:45 am

Strangely enough, I had a customer MacBook Pro that was running Parallels come in just this week. We needed this setup to work with his C125 and M1 ECU, both of which require an ethernet connection using a Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter.

I googled for help, and found this thread, read the same KB article (and related ones), and figured out how to make this work. I thought I would post the solution for any future searches...

Use the Parallels Control Panel to setup the Network connection as "Bridged" to "Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter" (or whatever your Ethernet HW is). If you've been using WiFi to connect to the Internet, this will break the internet connection for Parallels, but will allow you to talk to the MoTeC Ethernet devices. I was even able to switch network connections mid-stream using the M1 Tune 1.4, to let it download an update (using Shared / Default connection), then back to Bridged to talk to the ECU.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby PEI330Ci on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:22 am

I had the same problem with VMWare Fusion.

Under Network Adapter -> Bridged Networking, I selected the Thunderbolt Ethernet.

Now I can talk to the M1 and C125 with my Mac.

Thank you David Ferguson!
PEI330Ci

Postby tepid1 on Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:58 am

David and Adam,

In VMware (maybe even parallels) you can add additional networks so that you can use the thunderbolt adapter AND keep your internet connection. Keep one bridged (for the adapter) and the other use bridged (auto detect). The second will maintain your wifi so you can surf or even run team viewer.

Hope this helps.
Chris
tepid1

Postby ELN on Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:10 am

Hi
I got my old MacBook (bootcamp windows 10) water damage so I ordered a new one and went for a M2 2022.
Now I realized that bootcamp in not possible and new parallels only allow me to install windows 11.

The c127 dash manager seems to work just fine and PDM manage is working but I can not find my PDM unit.
under preferences I fund Devices and canged to (ask me what to do) the the software asked me if like to connect can to usb in in iOS or windows but non of them seemed to work

M880 ECU manager is not even possible to install. :cry:

Parallels is working inceddible but not much use for it if I can run ECU manager or Connect to my PDM unit.

Grateful for any suggestions

Emil Larsson
ELN

Return to MoTeC PC Comms