Lambda Input - M130

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Lambda Input - M130

Postby VERMotorsports on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:19 am

Hello guys, this is my first Motec ECU I deal with, I usually work with other brands.

So I got this m130 set up in a ford fiesta rally car. It didn't have a lambda sensor, so we installed a fueltech nano, (we don't have official motec products around here, besides the LTC is way more expensive to import to Uruguay than buy local products)

I tried, really did to set up the single lambda as a 0-5v input but it just doesn't let me. The motec m1 tune 1.4 doesn't seem to have an option to set up the lambda as an analogue input. You can check the pictures, I do have a LTC connector (DTM) from the wire loom, but like I said, we opted to install the lambda now, instead of having to import the LTC from AU or the US, then pay on top of that 60% taxes and a customs agent to get it in.
I might be mistaken but no one would pay (600 + shipping)*60% tax on top of that, just to get a lambda reading.

Is it possible to set up the lambda input as a analogue 0-5v on the M130? If not, thanks in advance for taking the time to read.
VERMotorsports

Re: Lambda Input - M130

Postby SOReilly on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:17 pm

Hello,

They do not support lambda via an AV input from an external controller, you will need an LTC.
SOReilly
MoTeC

Postby VERMotorsports on Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:27 am

SOReilly wrote:Hello,

They do not support lambda via an AV input from an external controller, you will need an LTC.

Why? Older models did, why aren't the M1 models? Its very difficult to convince my client to stay with motec, first the ECU is not cheap, the motec screen, now LTC, you keep adding stuff and its damn expensive compared to let's say a Fueltech FT700
VERMotorsports

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:04 am

Why,

Because there are too many variables with using an Analogue input to transmit the signal. Small variances in the power supply or grounding can result in the voltage being transmitted shifting, making the calculated Lambda value move and be falsely represented.

The earlier M4 family did use Analogue voltage in for their "Wide Band" Lambda as they did not have CAN inputs, but with the sensor accuracy of the earlier sensors, using the AV inputs for this wasn't much of an issue.

With the Mx00 Family, it was either directly wired sensors, or CAN from a PLM/LTC. It is also possible to use Analogue inputs, but this was not recommended.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby VERMotorsports on Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:46 pm

Stephen Dean wrote:Why,

Because there are too many variables with using an Analogue input to transmit the signal. Small variances in the power supply or grounding can result in the voltage being transmitted shifting, making the calculated Lambda value move and be falsely represented.

The earlier M4 family did use Analogue voltage in for their "Wide Band" Lambda as they did not have CAN inputs, but with the sensor accuracy of the earlier sensors, using the AV inputs for this wasn't much of an issue.

With the Mx00 Family, it was either directly wired sensors, or CAN from a PLM/LTC. It is also possible to use Analogue inputs, but this was not recommended.

Got it, so there's no solution to my problem, either I tune the ECU watching the lambda, or I have to talk to the client and migrate to a Fueltech to get my lambda reading on the logs.

Where we live, a LTC that's about 700 bucks, after shipping and import taxes (60% of the product + shipping values), would cost well over 1100 bucks, not counting the sensor 4.9 LSU. The client doesn't think that's even an option.

Thanks for the support, the forums is great. Will be around learning more as I work with this M130
VERMotorsports

Return to M1 ECUs