GPR Drag Package Wastegate control

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

GPR Drag Package Wastegate control

Postby 4ttl on Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:32 pm

I'm hoping someone can enlighten me to the workings of the wastegate pressure controls for boost control.

I am looking to solve a few issues with target boost on a GPR-Drag package that is using CO2 and wastegate pressure to control boost. I have read through the help associated with it but still have questions as to boost aim when wastegate pressure is driving.

Currently it has onlt wastegate offset set to -70kpa to account for the wastegate spring. I am seeing a higher boost pressure than target, how does boost aim resolve itself when in open loop? is it just using the wastegate aim or is there more of the boost aim system working to reach target boost?
Since I am seeing more than target boost will a negative wastegate scale allow compensation and enable closed loop and drive boost aim to the requested level?

I am sure there are a small number of cars using this and values from each application may differ greatly, I'm looking for clarification as to how the system operates with and without closed loop so I can make this system more accurate

Regards all.
4ttl

Re: GPR Drag Package Wastegate control

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:23 pm

Hi Kevin,

You will need to have the Boost Control Feed Forward Main table populated, and make sure that the Wastegate Pressure Scale has enough range.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby 4ttl on Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:09 pm

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your help. The document describing the wastegate control system was great in explaining the way the bost control system should operate.

In testing i have found that the wastegate pressure system is unaffected by target boost in the closed loop arrangement only responds to a change in wastegate offset. Boost level is not approaching target and i am seeing 0 wastgate pid while boost as pressure rises. The boost pid system does seem to respond, however it does not relate to the wastegate pressure.

I can supply logs and package files but would rather keep these private as the ip relating to the rest of the tune is not mine to share.

Regards
4ttl

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:16 am

Hi,

Send them through to support@motec.com.au
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby 4ttl on Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 pm

Have sent logs though.

Seems that wastgate offset needs to be much more than with open loop, I wouldnt have thought the offset needed changing.

Regards
4ttl

Postby 4ttl on Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:35 pm

Have sent dropbox link for logs to support@motec,

Please let me know if these arent available

Regards
4ttl

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:23 pm

I have them, I'll look through them today.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Return to M1 ECUs