Engine Sync Position Diagnostics says Invalid Camshaft

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Engine Sync Position Diagnostics says Invalid Camshaft

Postby PQatPIT on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:37 am

Trying to start Toyota 3S-GE engine with M150 equipped with GPR project sourced package as a first start. In the future there will be M130 highly likely with GPR package. Engine is used without vvti system as class rules do not allow them.

Reference sensor is oem with inductive sensor, 36-2 teeth. Sync sensor is oem inductive sensor reading exhaust cam 4-1 teeth. Ref goes to UDig1 input, Sync goes to Udig2. Inlet cam sensor is not used atm. Engine Speed Reference Mode is 37 ie. Toyota 2ZZ. The description says that all camshafts are used for synchronisation. Tried to configure Cam Inlet and/or Exh sensor resources to various UDig inputs.

When checked with Capture Inputs...-function both ref and sync signals are just as described. Parameter "Engine Synchronisation Position Diagnostic" says "Camshaft Invalid". When injector or ignition coil outputs are tested with at least some rpm (over 500rpm) the message says Ok. When rotated with starter motor "Engine Speed Reference State" goes to "Pattern Lock" indicating that crank sensor is read and decoded correctly. What is wrong or missing? How this kind of engine should be wired and setup if all oem camshaft functions are used?

I'm sure that this could be made to work by grinding two extra cam teeth away but rather not to destroy customers camshafts. :D

Thanks!
PQatPIT

Re: Engine Sync Position Diagnostics says Invalid Camshaft

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:23 am

Hi,

With the 2ZZ mode, you wire the M1 to use both of the camshafts for synchronisation, and you do not use a seperate sync input as the camshaft positions are used to generate the sync position. Doing this will have the wiring as follows;

UDig1 - Ref
UdigX - Inlet Cam
UdigY - Exhaust Cam
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby PQatPIT on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:49 pm

This engine synced and started up even without inlet cam sensor, and obviously ecu is telling that inlet sensor signal is missing. How about if I route existing exhaust cam signal to both inputs?

Is it / would it be the same with all other modes that have text "All camshafts are used for synchronisation"?

Thanks!
PQatPIT

Postby gtihk on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm

I would expect that one will need to wire in both camshafts when it says all camshafts used for synchronization.
I do not expect both inlet and exhaust are reading the same source is a very good solution, but that is only me.
If I were you, I would use the other mode which may involve removal of some trigger teeth.
gtihk

Return to M1 ECUs