Channel Numbering v Firing Order

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Channel Numbering v Firing Order

Postby LouDen Motorsport on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:20 pm

As you have probably guessed from my recent questions I'm installing my first Motec. Don't worry, I'm only building the loom, I won't be tuning it :-)

Todays silly question : do the ignition and injector channel numbers shown in the pinout diagrams refer to the cylinder number or the firing order?

Once again, my thanks in anticipation.
LouDen Motorsport

Re: Channel Numbering v Firing Order

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:55 am

If you have created the pinout diagram using the Help | Firmware Wiring... function, then it will list the output pin on the M1, and the injector/coil that it is connected to. If it is just a generic wiring diagram, then it will most likely just list the output resource.

In the M1, as the firing order is specified using the Engine Cylinder x Top Dead Centre parameters and the output resources for the coils and injectors can be allocated using the output resource parameters, there is no set method of wiring in the injectors and coils in the M1. I personally when doing looms wire the matching resource to the cylinder in use, so cylinder 1 will have Low Side Ignition 1 and Peak Hold Injector 1 allocated to it.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby LouDen Motorsport on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks once again, Stephen. Given my complete lack of experience with this ECU I'm leaving any and all setup to the tuner.

The pinout diagram I mentioned is the one in the "M1 ECU Hardware" pdf off the website.
LouDen Motorsport

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am

The best way to work out a wiring diagram for an M1 is to setup the ECU in M1 Tune, and then print out the Help | Firmware Wiring... and work from that.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Herrubermensch on Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:59 pm

SDean wrote:The best way to work out a wiring diagram for an M1 is to setup the ECU in M1 Tune, and then print out the Help | Firmware Wiring... and work from that.

Exactly. Good advice. It's a great feature in the M1 Tune software.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Return to M1 ECUs