Warnings setup -- Best practice

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Warnings setup -- Best practice

Postby CarloL on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Was reading up on the M800, restrict RPM if low oil pressure is detected
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1130

Looking at the warning sub systems on the M1, is it good practice to limit the RPM on the car (limp mode)
If Fuel, oil pressure outside safe parameters etc is detected

I know this may cause safety issues with a car used on a public road , mine is setup just for logging purposes but no limit is set to restrict the RPM when a warning system is triggered

I know of two owners with road cars who had their engines saved due to the sub system kicking in and limiting RPM due to low OIL pressure
CarloL

Re: Warnings setup -- Best practice

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi Carlo,

Having the engine seize from no oil, or stall from no fuel being supplied, can also cause safety issues with a road driven vehicle :D

I would enable the warning functions, this will give you a warning of a potential issues with hopefully enough time to be able to move the vehicle to a safer location, compared to having no warnings and an instant failure that may strand you in a compromised position.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby CarloL on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks Stephen!
CarloL

Postby Sean on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:35 am

Personally I prefer not having RPM limiting on alarms in a race application. If the car (bike) is loaded in a turn, suddenly limiting the rpm can be enough to send the vehicle off the track, into a wall, or another car etc. Even in a straight line there's a risk of being rear ended.
Sean

Return to M1 ECUs