Custom Package - Feature Request?

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Custom Package - Feature Request?

Postby Ben-S on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:26 am

I am finishing up a Partner Package that utilizes a RaceGrade 8 Position Keypad (without the need for a PDM or Dash). Below is a picture of the current keypad configuration along with a brief description of each function. Currently I'm using all but one of the buttons for predefined features in the Package, I'm looking for some input on that last available button.

Button 1 - Launch
- Arms either Stationary & Rolling Launch depending on conditions & cycles through 3 trim levels
- LED's indicate off or which trim level is Armed

Button 2 - Traction
- Arms the traction control & cycles through 3 trim levels
- LED's indicate off or which trim level is selected

Button 3 - Your Button?
- Could be anything
- Button can be momentary, latching, or four position.

Button 4 & 8 - Cruise
- Completely stand alone cruise control functionality (requires a DBW throttle)
- LED's indicate Active of Fault

Button 5 - Boost
- Selects 4 individual 3-Axis Boost Aim tables
- LED's indicate the currently selected table

Button 6 - Nitrous
- Arms 3 cumulative stages of Nitrous
- LED's indicate which stages are armed

Button 7 - Rev Match (H Pattern Box)
- Activates a DBW rev match system for H Pattern transmissions
- Similar Nissan 370Z functionality

Aside from the above Keypad features the package also includes:

Flex Fuel
- Fuel Content & Temp on a single input from a GM Sensor
- Fully Integrated into all fuel properties, not just a trim table.

Standard 5V lambda support
- Keep your existing wideband gauge/controller
- Integrated into all lambda functions

Improved Tacho Support
- Allows tach output to be 12V instead of Ground.

Please feel free to comment on any of the functions as well as the use of the final button!

For anyone interested that already has a development license we have already tested these functions extensively on development platforms and currently have them available. For everyone else hopefully I'll have this buttoned up in the next week or so!
Ben-S

Re: Custom Package - Feature Request?

Postby David Ferguson on Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:42 am

Perhaps you should leave the button function to be selectable at tune time? Here some ideas:

If your cruise doesn't have cancel/resume, it seems like that would be a logical place for that. Package should allow existing external cruise switches to be used as well.

Economy / performance switch to select one of two Lambda tables

Ignition switch

Auto-start: one press activates starter - disengages when engine starts, faults on extended low voltage, or maximum starter duty cycle (tunable). Your package could have this feature available for the existing starter switch/button, too.

manual fuel pump control (for pump-out)

Logging enable or Logging Marker switch -- just log the switch status so you can find interesting data in the log.

Reset switch -- resets fuel consumption, status errors, timers, returns your other trimmed values to their defaults.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Ben-S on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:39 am

David Ferguson wrote:Perhaps you should leave the button function to be selectable at tune time?

I had considered that, just adding it into a few potential table axis similar to MoTeC's indexable switches. That may be the best option.

If your cruise doesn't have cancel/resume, it seems like that would be a logical place for that. Package should allow existing external cruise switches to be used as well.

This is a good topic all by itself. My cruise function doesn't have a cancel or resume function at all. It easily could but it would use an extra button and I'm not so sure it's worth it. I enable the cruise by holding the + button for 2 seconds, it's disabled by the clutch, brake, or a variety of limits that keep it safe even if you lost the clutch and brake switch.

You're absolutely right about the external switches, I hadn't even considered that because of the cars I normally work on but I do need to add that functionality back in. That would allow end users to chose other functions for those two buttons as well.

Economy / performance switch to select one of two Lambda tables

Not a bad idea, I could have separate throttle settings as well to slow/eliminate small throttle inputs that waste a lot of fuel.

Ignition switch

Auto-start: one press activates starter - disengages when engine starts, faults on extended low voltage, or maximum starter duty cycle (tunable). Your package could have this feature available for the existing starter switch/button, too.

This is a cool function and I have added it to a few cars however every customer has eventually requested to take it off after the cool factor wears off. In reality it just makes it annoying when trying to check compression, bump the motor into a different position, etc.

manual fuel pump control (for pump-out)

Very simple but I think this might be my favorite idea yet but maybe that's because I'm usually the one pumping peoples fuel out when they have sub par pumps or fuel on the dyno :lol:

Logging enable or Logging Marker switch -- just log the switch status so you can find interesting data in the log.

Great idea, I can easily add this without using an extra button though. The "-" button on the cruise down nothing unless cruise is already engaged so I can dual purpose that button.

Reset switch -- resets fuel consumption, status errors, timers, returns your other trimmed values to their defaults.

Another good one could probably hold the "-" button for that as well though.

I really appreciate the feedback I'll definitely be using at least a couple of these in this package.
Ben-S

Postby Ryengoth on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:17 am

Set boost level for multiple boost maps - momentary held for X seconds
Display boost level selection - momentary < X seconds
Ryengoth

Return to M1 ECUs