ECUMaster EGT to CAN

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Re: ECUMaster EGT to CAN

Postby Anthony on Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:50 pm

Let's work on making sure you are seeing the correct values on the channels first. The workbook and gauge is just the pretty way to view them in a nice dashboard but if the channel values aren't right it's always going to be wrong on the gauge.

I think your calibration might be out, based on your earlier photos the 24mv will be 2.4 degrees when it should be 24 degrees.

All calibrate > temperature > cylinder 1
Set the calibration to CAN 0DP.1.0
Does Cylinder 1 channel value now show the expected temp in degrees?

If thats all good move on to your workbook gauges, As for "best method to view" I personally view EGT's on a time graph. screen shot attached with some options but the way you have been doing it is correct. Not sure why the temp sensor was blank id have expected it to show 2.4 degrees.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 9.42.09 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-08-10 at 9.42.09 AM.png (600.67 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Anthony

Postby Thezedhed on Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:54 pm

Hi Anthony, thanks for the reply.

"I think your calibration might be out, based on your earlier photos the 24mv will be 2.4 degrees when it should be 24 degrees."
I'm not certain what you mean as my photo showing 24mv includes the ECUMaster EGT to CAN showing 24degC from the actual K-Type sensor?
I've attached another image showing 19mV (this time in the sensor/voltage & absolute) all at 19C shown by the EGT to CAN.
Motec CAN 3 EGT setup 7 - CAN 0DP.1.0.png
Motec CAN 3 EGT setup 7 - CAN 0DP.1.0.png (338.83 KiB) Viewed 814 times

"Set the calibration to CAN 0DP.1.0"
I've previously tried this (& various other options) but I still can't get anything to show in calibrations (~) Cylinder 1 Sensor Temp C!

Under Voltage I have the reference to "Absolute" - I'm thinking this doesn't make any difference as it's a CAN value?

I think I have a solution. :D
If I change calibration from 'CAN 0DP.1.0' to 'Manual' I see 24.0C in the 'Sensor/Translation' calc. The voltage and translation values are flashing though (please see attached image) is this normal?
I tried different filter values but couldn't stop the flashing.
There's still nothing showing in "Cylinder 1 temp" though :(
Motec CAN 3 EGT setup 8 - Flashing.png
Motec CAN 3 EGT setup 8 - Flashing.png (362.34 KiB) Viewed 814 times

Now in Workbook I select to show "Exhaust Temperature Cylinder 1 Sensor Translation [°C]" I finally get the correct temperature. :D

Will "Exhaust Temperature Cylinder 1 Sensor Translation" be something the M150 can 'act' upon should temperatures start getting too high?

Thank you all for the help and pointers, very much appreciated.
Thezedhed

Postby Thezedhed on Sat Aug 10, 2024 11:59 pm

Hey Anthony, are you using an ECUMaster EGT to CAN device?
Thezedhed

Postby Thezedhed on Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:48 am

Hey, it's now working.

After selecting a time graph and choosing to display "Exhaust Temperature Cylinder 1 Sensor Translation [°C]" which worked, out of interest I then chose to display "Exhaust Temperature Cylinder 1 [°C]" and it's now showing instead of being completely blank.
Motec CAN 3 EGT setup 9 - Finally.png
Motec CAN 3 EGT setup 9 - Finally.png (179.88 KiB) Viewed 810 times

I then went back into calibrate, hey presto "Sensor" is now showing a correct temp.
Motec CAN 3 EGT setup 10 - Finally.png
Motec CAN 3 EGT setup 10 - Finally.png (395.01 KiB) Viewed 810 times

I honestly cannot think of anything I have done to make the value appear except for selecting it on a time graph, makes no sense though.
Thezedhed

Postby Anthony on Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:03 am

Nice, looks like the comms error is also gone.

Re the using temps, you can configure a warning and limit rpm.
search warning.
Anthony

Postby Thezedhed on Sun Aug 11, 2024 5:08 am

Thanks Anthony, I'll take a look.

Started adding the other sensors and I'll be buggered if I can get them to read in mV.
This is where I think I fluked something and so the mV and DegC were lining up, no matter what settings I try I can't seem to get the translation to match cylinder #1 and so read in mV.

I don't suppose there's a way to copy/save a sensors settings and then apply it to another is there?
Anyone got any ideas, please.
Attachments
Motec CAN 3 EGT setup 11 - Sensor #2 Volts not mV.png
Motec CAN 3 EGT setup 11 - Sensor #2 Volts not mV.png (118.38 KiB) Viewed 779 times
Thezedhed

Postby Thezedhed on Sun Aug 11, 2024 6:24 am

I've found it was the Sensor/Diagnostic Delay that was impeding the sensor showing temperature.
Select 'CAN 0DP.1.0' then set 'Diagnostic Delay' to 100ms and the sensor now shows degC.

Also I changed Sensor #1 from Calibration 'Manual' to 'CAN 0DP.1.0' and temp still correct even though its voltage units are showing as mV and rest of the sensors are showing as V, doesn't really make any difference as they're 1mV or 0.001v respectively, just that I haven't found a way to change it.

Sorry for the big explanation just hoping it may help others in future.

Now I do have one more slight problem, sorry :roll:
My setup is a Nissan R35 V6, I've used the 2 other spare EGT's as compressor outlet temp sensors but obviously they're not available under Exhaust Temperature Sensors. To access the final 2 sensors can I assign CAN 1, offset 4 & 6 to a couple of temperature channels?

**Update, I've found Turbo outlet temperature for Banks 1 & 2 so I've assigned them.**
All working perfectly now.
So glad I switched to MoTeC :D
Thezedhed

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Aug 12, 2024 10:49 am

You can change the units displayed by clicking on the Parameter that you want and pressing Crtl+N on the keyboard, this brings up the Properties window for that Parameter.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Thezedhed on Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:47 pm

Stephen Dean wrote:You can change the units displayed by clicking on the Parameter that you want and pressing Crtl+N on the keyboard, this brings up the Properties window for that Parameter.

Thanks Stephen,
I see it now under "Active Item".
I'd just been right clicking and seen 'properties' (F5) which are locked.
Thezedhed

Previous

Return to M1 ECUs