Looking for a clever way to send Keypad Buttons

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Looking for a clever way to send Keypad Buttons

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:31 am

I recently added a 8 Button Keypad to a customers M150 running the latest GPR. I was expecting to be able to send keypad buttons using the Custom CAN Transmit (keypad is on a different bus than the ECU transmit bus), but found that wasn't possible. Perhaps Keypad Buttons could be added to the list of channels that can be transmitted.

Next I thought, perhaps I could configure Driver Switches to use Keypad Buttons as their resource. Nope, keypad buttons look like driver switches that are already configured. Perhaps some configuration that allowed the tuner to choose Keypad Button x or Driver Switch x to be transmitted in the standard M1 0x640 stream as the "Driver Switch N", would be a good solution.

What I did do was task unused driver switches (ie. Anti-Lag Switch, Launch Switch), to use the Keypad Buttons N, since those are transmitted in the standard ECU Stream. I don't enabled the underlying subsystem, just configure the switch. At least I can see a couple of keypad buttons.

I'm looking for other clever ideas, or indications that this problem might be solved in a near future release of GPR.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Re: Looking for a clever way to send Keypad Buttons

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:14 pm

I'll add it to the list David.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby David Ferguson on Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:59 am

Thank you. Still up for clever solutions...
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby chuckk on Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 am

Perhaps with a dash ? I also have a customer with a gpr package that uses a keypad for launch, boost, traction systems. I was planning on using the m1 to transmit the buttons state to the dash.
chuckk

Postby Anthony on Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:18 am

Im assuming you don't have a Motec Dash in the system?

I've gone the opposite direction, rotary controller via a C series Dash, each button set-up as a counter, then the counter value is transmitted to the M1.

Potentially a bit off topic here but I'd like to see a bit of a master/slave set-up with dash/ecu for keypads and expanders.
Eg Keypad, E888, dash and M1 all on the same bus.

for expander, master controls outputs and receives inputs, slave only receives inputs
for keypad, master controls leds/brightness and receives button states, slave only receives button states

This would save the need to build the some of the extra templates to transmit values between the devices but I'm potentially missing something an I'm sure its not that simple haha
Anthony

Postby David Ferguson on Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:49 am

I have a dash, it's not on the same CAN bus. Dash and ECU are communicating successfully, and ECU (master) and keypad (slave) as well. The issue is how to send the info from the keypad master (ECU), when it has a limited transmit capability.

SInce the MoTeC Keypad is a CANOpen device it requires special initialization at startup (a master/slave relationship). The PDM and now the ECU firmware can do that. The PDM is flexible enough to allow button status to be transmitted (but on the same can bus), but ECU doesn't have that capability. Another idea -- a standard Keypad button state transmission. The ECU firmware could allow you to assign what CAN bus to use for the transmission.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Return to M1 ECUs