Throttle Blip and External Transmission Controller

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Throttle Blip and External Transmission Controller

Postby t8fanning on Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:53 pm

I have an external transmission controller for a BMW DCT. This controller outputs a throttle blip signal for the duration of the shift as well as gear position. I am interfacing this controller with a M150 with GPRP through CAN.

Motec's gear shift seems to want to control everything about the transmission. I really just want to feed it a blip signal and have it blip the throttle. Does anyone know if this is possible with GPRP? The GPRP documentation says that paddles, actuators, air pump, clutch switch and other equipment is required. What is the minimum equipment requirement to perform throttle blips? I currently have paddle signals sent to the transmission controller and not the M150, but I suppose I could share the signal with the M150 if needed.

Thanks.
t8fanning

Re: Throttle Blip and External Transmission Controller

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:56 pm

Hi,

If you are going to be controlling the gearbox with an external controller, you could just run GPR and feed the paddles in as a shift Up/Down request, this will give you a cut/retard on upshift, and a blip on downshift.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby t8fanning on Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:04 pm

So without custom firmware, the M150 has to have some shift up/down request. I was hoping to avoid that and just use the output blip or cut signal, but it's a simple enough fix. Thanks for the response.

Do you think setting up the shift/cut signal from the trans controller as the paddle switches would work or would that cause some issue?
t8fanning

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:32 am

To be clear, not all firmware has shift support. GPR & GPRP (which you have) does. Minimum equipment requirement for blipping is DBW throttle.

I've just been through this -- use the paddle switch inputs, so you have complete control over the timing, you know if it's a upshift or downshift, etc. Don't waste you timing trying to force something different.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Return to M1 ECUs